Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

instrument cluster identification

Hi
    I have TB48 TI 2004 patrol that has an instrument cluster problem
    Initially it had erratic fuel gauge readings, I took it to an instrument repair shop who identified the problem as bad solder joints.
    The repair was carried out and when it was installed back in the car the fuel gauge read correctly but the temp gauge now read in the overtemp range.
    A call back to the repairers and they had noted this problem but put it down to being a TI cluster and not a ST one (test rig problem)
    I took it back and they tried to have it repaired, it came back as unrepairable. They think its a chip problem
    Searching the internet for a TI cluster has been a problem. I bought one from a wreckers but it was not a Ti one like they said, it works but the instrument illumination is useless. With the dash lights turned on full and/or the headlights on, the dash cannot be read at night.
    How do you identify the correct cluster?
    I contacted Nissan and I had to supply my VIN number, they gave me a number to find and said it wouldn't be on the backing case but more probably on the circuit board inside.
    When dealing with the wreckers thats too hard!
    So, how do you identify the correct cluster, is there an easier way?
    Has anyone got one for sale?
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    maybe run some new earth straps, thats all I have
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    maybe run some new earth straps, thats all I have
    Thanks for the reply but I don't think the answer is there, the replacement cluster's "gauges all worked normally" when fitted in the patrol, lighting was the problem
    The fuel sender in the tank was replaced when the problem first appeared but the problem remained
    I then looked over the internet and found bad earths and bad solder joints were the main problems, my bad luck about replacing the fuel sender!
    I called in a auto electrician to check my work about the sender and check the earthing he found nothing wrong, he was satisfied with the earthing. He suggested a cluster problem.
    I bought a replacement cluster from eBay, the elec removed the u/s cluster for me to take to the repairers who on inspection found dry joints and repaired them
    They also noted that the temp gauge was sitting in the overtemp range, they rang me and I said it was ok when I brought it in. This being the first TI cluster they had on their test rig they thought it to be an incompatibility between the two and it would read ok when fitted back in the car
    I had the the repaired cluster refitted and when fitted the cluster worked normally except for the temp gauge. The cluster was removed and sent back to the repairers who now say its unrepairable. I'm driving with the replacement cluster (ST I think) fitted everything works but the illumination, it works but very very dim - can't read it in dim light
    So unless there is an earth in the cluster that has been damaged during the repair the earthing is ok
    Sorry for being so long
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An introduction would be nice before asking for assistance mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

threedogs (21st December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    on Toyotas they have an earth for different sections of the 4x4 , eg front engine bay ,,engine bay then front of cabin rear of cab and so on.
    Patrols are notorious for having earth issues.
    But an intro would be nice polite and all plus youll get a better response as well.
    Nothing worse than 12v issues got any hair left lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there