OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Best shocks/coils for a GQ that never goes off-road (no lift)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best shocks/coils for a GQ that never goes off-road (no lift)

Hi guys I'm in the process of restoring a '91 LWB GQ. It still has the factory suspension and I can say the shocks aren't doing much anymore. The car never goes off-road, never tows and never carries a load, apart from the LPG tank behind the rear axle.
    I'm trying to remove as much noise/shuddering/vibration as possible, mostly from potholes and bumps on the country roads/highways, and make a nice soft ride.

I've read several other threads talking about the softest/smoothest suspension and reading about brands and heard Koni gives good on-road comfort.

I got a quote for a set of Koni's and King coils (a little over $1000) but I'm not sure if its overkill since I never take the car off-road?
    I read that even the cheapest shocks will be better than the stock ones.
    Also, while getting the quote, I was told that they can't get springs softer than the factory ones, will this affect the firmness of the ride?

So does anybody know of a shock that won't break the bank but will do well on road? Or are the Koni's really worth it?
    Looking forward to hearing all your opinions.

Cheers
    Last edited by jasonwoodland; 14th December 2017 at 07:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    your ride quality for on road use will really have a lot to do with the spring rate you choose. be careful. Konis will be great but for what you want to do most will be fine. Even going into Pedders and asking them for a quote will be fine mate. No Load, Hwy, Stock Height. You dont need anything special or expensive i reckon.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Springs much more important in this situation than shocks. Stock springs (if good nick) and monroes or pedders shocks would be fine. Konis and Kings for $1000 is pretty good, reckon they'd be Koni 81's which are good quality for unloaded highway and Kings quality springs.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm running 2inch progressive rate king springs and monroes heavy duty shocks.... when i load the old girl up rides smooth as
    empty i think it could do with softer shocks
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies guys really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    your ride quality for on road use will really have a lot to do with the spring rate you choose. be careful. Konis will be great but for what you want to do most will be fine. Even going into Pedders and asking them for a quote will be fine mate. No Load, Hwy, Stock Height. You dont need anything special or expensive i reckon.
    Thanks mate, will see if there's something more affordable, even though just over 1000 is good I still have to pay a mint for new tyres to put on the factory Ti alloys I recently got.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Springs much more important in this situation than shocks. Stock springs (if good nick) and monroes or pedders shocks would be fine. Konis and Kings for $1000 is pretty good, reckon they'd be Koni 81's which are good quality for unloaded highway and Kings quality springs.
    I think one of the springs has sagged, or expanded (we replaced one because the car was on a tilt, aaages ago but it didn't make a difference hmm) so not sure if I should be replacing them now haha I guess I'll have to take it in and see.

Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    i'm running 2inch progressive rate king springs and monroes heavy duty shocks.... when i load the old girl up rides smooth as
    empty i think it could do with softer shocks
    Will have to look into those progressive rate springs. but definitely looking for the softest shocks if they exist lol