Thread: Dyno Tuning???

Thanks
    Thanked 4,612 Times in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks for the info Kallen, much appreciated.

I remember from my electronics tech days, if we reflashed a ROM or wrote a new one , things could go wrong. The info you flash with may be incorrect, you could lose power while flashing, I just remember, we never did it unless we had a fall back, EG more ROMs.

I looked at the Steibauer ECU, it seems to be pretty good. It alters the induction length so more fuel can be squirted in, doesn't increase rail pressure like other devices do, which I'm not keen on.

If I could have exactly what I wanted it would be a way in which I could choose to run economically when I use the vehicle as daily driver and then increase it's power when it's loaded up, an economy & a power setting I guess.
    That is the chip of choice for exactly the reason you mentioned.
    It adjusts injector pulse as it's main event for extra fuel.

Your quality tuners like East Coast will have a stock map on hand if shoit goes bad, and it can. I personally know the local Toyota dealer accidently wipped the father in-laws prado clean when recoding the injectors. They had to ring other customers to get someone to bring their prado in to copy it across lol..

Anyway. Lots of people who have mapped the ecu and lots of positive responses if you get it done right.

On the subject of throttle controllers.
    Being electronic throttle those modules simply trick the ecu to thinking you have more, or less depending on your setting, pedal than you actually do..
    So they don't adjust anything, but simply adjust the throttle voltage.
    Similar to a maf voltage modifier.

Imo, jump online or call Harley from East coast performance tuning and have a chat. He'll run threw what happens and how. He's in Melbourne I'm pretty sure so not much further for you..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bidja (14th December 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Imo, jump online or call Harley from East coast performance tuning and have a chat. He'll run threw what happens and how. He's in Melbourne I'm pretty sure so not much further for you..
    Do highly recommend to have a chat with Harley @ ECPT. (ECU postal remap Max Boost 20-22 psi / AFR 22:1) Am a happy customer. Harley is in Tuggerah NSW (Nth of Sydney) 0497 444 451 for tech info. Have a look at their web page.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (14th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Do highly recommend to have a chat with Harley @ ECPT. (ECU postal remap Max Boost 20-22 psi / AFR 22:1) Am a happy customer. Harley is in Tuggerah NSW (Nth of Sydney) 0497 444 451 for tech info. Have a look at their web page.
    Augh ok. Some reason I though melb but still.
    Worth the trip or week carless..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Augh ok. Some reason I though melb but still.
    Worth the trip or week carless..
    was not intended for you to look at his web page ,sorry. But still a good read.

Will do run to ecpt for dyno check of tune in early new year. By the way thanks for your help along the way especially manual boost adjust.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (14th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    was not intended for you to look at his web page ,sorry. But still a good read.

Will do run to ecpt for dyno check of tune in early new year. By the way thanks for your help along the way especially manual boost adjust.
    No worries mate
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly broadening the question but would a GQ 4.2 diesel with a denco turbo kit ie schwitzer turbo pipe work from turbo to the back end benefit in any way from a dyno tune? 200,000 kms 10 / 110 lt per 100km highway and 15 to 18 around town with too many traffic lights and cars in the way in general.

Merry Xmas you lot too

Cheers
    Chimo
    PS Nothing has been touched since the turbo went on in the 90's .,
    PPS Just tell me if you want this as a separate thread!!
    Last edited by Chimo; 14th December 2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Separate thread or not ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if I would bother with a throttle controller. All they are is a voltage amplifier that takes the voltage from the throttle sensor - amplifies it - and sends it to the ecu. You would get exactly the same effect by pushing the pedal down more quickly. Also, when you are off road going slowly on harsh terrain, you need all the throttle "feel" and resolution you can get. The last thing you want is to put your foot down a little bit and take off a lot.

They can't possibly give you more speed because 100% throttle is 100% throttle! An aftermarket controller may get you to 100% a poofteenth of a second quicker.

As for stories about throttle controllers improving enconmy - they are just that - stories - IMHO.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (22nd December 2017)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if those throttle controllers can help minimise turbo lag?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. This message was too short so I had to add more for it to be accepted.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (22nd December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree, a throttle control unit (TCU) does not influence turbo lag.

Engine build alone dictates the max torque/pwr output and is not influenced at all by a TCU.

IMO, a TCU can assist in reducing the throttle lag that electronic controlled throttles do experience, as compared to cable controlled/actuated throttles. Reducing initial throttle lag can provide benefit for both on and off road performance.

My experience for CRD stock engine was that the TCU provided a quicker initial response time to accelerate at short notice primarily for hwy overtaking.
    Or in a off road low range situation, where I was slowly pocking along and I encountered a washed out rut and wanted to lift out of it, I found that the throttle lag time was too great for the momentum and the engine would loose it. The stock eng low down torque was what it was.

Amd't - From observation, even though I experienced a favourable result from using a throttle control unit(TCU) on my CRD with stock ECU/ECM, the reverse occurred with using it with a remapped ECU (max Boost 21.5 PSI / AFR 22:1). The TCU appeared to adversely mess with the ECU causing greater fuel consumption, non linear power increase thru rev range, lack of low down torque. Removed TCU, the result is good, better needle control for cruise boost, linear power increase thru rev range; max boost @ 1800 RPM, Max torque at 2200 RPM and 12.7 l/100-km compare to 13.5 l/100km (mixed driving sealed/dirt/off road_low range - 400km run (up into snowies and around Kiandra)
    Last edited by Bidja; 25th December 2017 at 12:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12