Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dyno Tuning???

Thinking of getting my Trol duno tuned.

I have a question.

Can they do anything if I don't fit a chip? Isn't the whole thing run by a computer, isn't that computer a closed box that no one can fiddle with?

If they can do something without me fitting a chip, is it worth the 6 hour round trip or will the changes be unnoticeable?

The truck is running pretty well ATM, maybe just using a bit too much fuel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the motor is all stock there's not a lot they can do. Maybe adjust the actuator arm on the turbo. The rest is ECU controlled so if you had a chip they would simply dyno on each setting to find the best one. You can get ECU remaps too as an alternative a chip, but is non removable and irreversible. But does give you more options for performance.
    If it were me in your shoes I wouldn't waste my time on a dyno. Your time and effort into doing so would not pay off with the result in my opinion. Fuel consumption I wouldn't worry about, unless its using a real lot, it is a 3T vehicle with a small under powered motor at the end of the day.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No ECU is not a closed box. Well to a regular user it is. But remap is available.
    Without a chip, the only other thing is a ECU remap which not all dyno places do anyway.

Other than that, you can throw it on the dyno and tune Needle/Dawes valves on the fly....
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, you said just what I thought.

I really wasn't sure what a dyno tune involved to be honest, but I did think that there must be something that is adjusted as the car runs, but if the stock ECU can't be adjusted, I guess you only dyno tune when you have something to adjust.

Being an electronics tech in my earlier life reflashing the ECU is something I think I'll stay well away from, way too dangerous IMO, but thanks for the info.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks guys, you said just what I thought.

I really wasn't sure what a dyno tune involved to be honest, but I did think that there must be something that is adjusted as the car runs, but if the stock ECU can't be adjusted, I guess you only dyno tune when you have something to adjust.

Being an electronics tech in my earlier life reflashing the ECU is something I think I'll stay well away from, way too dangerous IMO, but thanks for the info.
    Some people out there get great results with a Re-map .I mean, its more or less just like a chip. Except, Chip tricks the ECU midway..... But a remap brainwashes the ECU entirely.
    How trusty is a remap? Nobody knows.
    I'm not a tech expert but, how vulnerable is a remapped ECU compared to a ECU that hasn't been touched. I mean its not like its been physically bent into submission is it? It's just a software re-flash / update. But if things do go wrong. Unless you have a spare ECU, well you could be stranded.
    Personally id go with a chip. With a chip, it's a simple unplug it, by pass it and you're off.
    I wouldn't trust a re flash. But then again I'm yet to hear/read any remaps out there failing...
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 4,595 Times in 3,102 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of getting my Trol duno tuned.

I have a question.

Can they do anything if I don't fit a chip? Isn't the whole thing run by a computer, isn't that computer a closed box that no one can fiddle with?

If they can do something without me fitting a chip, is it worth the 6 hour round trip or will the changes be unnoticeable?

The truck is running pretty well ATM, maybe just using a bit too much fuel.
    Hey bloke.
    So there are many more remapping the crd than the Di as the program is the obd2 setup.
    Ok so remap.top spec best option.
    This is done as a live tune on dyno or driving and parameters are changed in the ecu to what you want them to be, to suit your car.
    Completely stock engines can be changed quite a bit but..
    The boost control is still shoit so best with mechanical boost control.
    Of course an exhaust and that will all help with power output but not critical.

Beware.
    Some simply do a flash tune.
    This is like a chip. A simple set of parameters set by some 16 year old kid in China and shipped out on a usb to the dealer..
    Risky. Yea a bit.
    This is the down fall of a chip aswell.
    As every engine is different they all react differently so what might be bang on for one engine may be rich for the next.

However..
    There are a side not to flash tunes.
    Harley at East Coast performance
    Tuning.
    They have put in some serious hours in r and d for flash tunes on a whole range of cars with all the different mods.
    So they get a list of what you have, and adjust your mail order tune to suit..
    So imo this is your second best option.
    Not quite a on the fly tune but far better than a run of the mill flash tune or chip..

ECPT also do Di tuning who as far as I'm awear are the only in Australia.. that's how invested he is in this stuff..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Kallen, much appreciated.

I remember from my electronics tech days, if we reflashed a ROM or wrote a new one , things could go wrong. The info you flash with may be incorrect, you could lose power while flashing, I just remember, we never did it unless we had a fall back, EG more ROMs.

I looked at the Steibauer ECU, it seems to be pretty good. It alters the induction length so more fuel can be squirted in, doesn't increase rail pressure like other devices do, which I'm not keen on.

If I could have exactly what I wanted it would be a way in which I could choose to run economically when I use the vehicle as daily driver and then increase it's power when it's loaded up, an economy & a power setting I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI. 4 months ago my 08 GU CRD was stock except for snorkel.
    Now run ECU Remap (postal) by ECPT, Full NADS, 3' pipe, manual boost control and very happy.

If your engine as it is provides you with what you require then leave it.

IMO if you are concerned about ecu remap or even chip and you would like a bit more performance then look at fitting 3” highflow exhaust, NADS (manual boost control) and have ability to observe boost / egt levels. (try only exhaust and manual boost control). Is your choice.

At each mod stage, thru to remap (in my case), you do see improvements at each mod stage. Currently getting 13.5 l/100km (veh 3.1T) doing mixed driving ie: 80% rural dirt/sealed, 10% town, 10% offroad (this is not just poking around).

To be honest, with stock eng with snorkel, I fitted a throttle control unit and that alone did wonders for getting rid of a lot of the throttle lag and perked up my CRD performance (the change suprised me).
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    FYI. 4 months ago my 08 GU CRD was stock except for snorkel.
    Now run ECU Remap (postal) by ECPT, Full NADS, 3' pipe, manual boost control and very happy.

If your engine as it is provides you with what you require then leave it.

IMO if you are concerned about ecu remap or even chip and you would like a bit more performance then look at fitting 3” highflow exhaust, NADS (manual boost control) and have ability to observe boost / egt levels. (try only exhaust and manual boost control). Is your choice.

At each mod stage, thru to remap (in my case), you do see improvements at each mod stage. Currently getting 13.5 l/100km (veh 3.1T) doing mixed driving ie: 80% rural dirt/sealed, 10% town, 10% offroad (this is not just poking around).

To be honest, with stock eng with snorkel, I fitted a throttle control unit and that alone did wonders for getting rid of a lot of the throttle lag and perked up my CRD performance (the change suprised me).
    That's all interesting stuff.

What's the throttle control unit, I've not read up on them, what do they actually do?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's all interesting stuff.

What's the throttle control unit, I've not read up on them, what do they actually do?
    It doesn’t interfere with a car’s ECU, power, torque or fuel delivery; rather it simply alters the throttle curve depending on driving style by providing new points of reference for the throttle mapping.

Many different manufactures do a goggle. Mine is one from 4wd supa centre. They are cheap give it a go.

Has a few function settings (and a range of increment settings per function setting). Function settings: stock and economy, half and full increase above stock set point. Plug and Play, place in series at the accelerator pedal electric function plug connector.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast