Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y61 3.0TD Terrible fuel consumption

G'day fellas,
    I recently bought myself a 2011 3.0TD Patrol and am loving it so far! Only issue is I've noticed the fuel consumption is terrible. I drove it about 65km today and went through at least 1/8th of the main tank. I wasn't in traffic, just cruising around the 60-80km/h range and not revving it or pushing it in any way. It's got 275/70R17 Cooper A/T tyres on it which might contribute to it but shouldn't be that much.

Just want to know how to get these numbers down. I'm also taking it for a service very soon and for a retune.

I've also noticed a rumbling from the snorkel when accelerating and was wondering if this is normal.

Also the bloke I bought it off told me there was a bit of an oil leak from the intake pipe just after the turbo charger and told me he took it to Nissan and they said it was normal, should I be worried about this?

Cheers! Hope the post isn't too long!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuel consumption figures vary widely , not sure if your test means much you could have a dodgy fuel level sender unit or gauge .
    Better to either fill it up to max drive a hundred Kay's then refill noting how much you've used or if your reserve or low fuel light works as soon as it lights up stick 20 litres in and go for a drive till it lights up again then note the kilometres driven .
    Our 2002 model would be around the 16 - 18 litres per hundred and the GQ and fuel economy don't go together but I'm not sure you can get lowdown grunt and a tough 4wd and still get great fuel consumption imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with ^^^^

Trying to work out fuel consumption of the gauge is problematic, much better to use fuel added and distance travelled.
    Having said that your vehicle may not be far off the mark anyway.
    68 K's will be about 9 ish litres at 12 to 15 LPH.

CRD's like to rev so don't light foot the throttle, mine got heaps better economy by getting it up to cruise quickly rather than trying the Driving Miss Daisy method.

Oil residue around the intake plumbing post turbo and thru the intercooler is common and no biggee, oil residue at the Intercooler where the plenums join the heat exchanger are symptomatic of charge air leaks but again no biggee until they get excessive as the VNT will compensate up to a point.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the help fellas, I've done some calculations lately off the filling up method and got around the 15-16 LPH mark which isn't too bad. I should've realized it would be around there with the lift, bigger tyres, and roof basket.
    Also sorry about the late reply!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yiannisk For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (14th January 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got about 460klms from the main tank, before having to run the sub tank a few KLMS from home, on a run from Camden to Hexam NSW and back. Three people in the truck going there, the same coming back but now with a 4.75 aluminum boat in tow. Not great mileage and worse than when it was new, although it wasn't on 33"s, lifted, and weighted down with tools and accessories then.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 14th January 2018 at 04:56 PM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................