Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ RB30 EGR Exhaust Manifold

Hi All,

First post here, I have tried searching but can't find anything relating to this query.

I have just removed the Exhaust Manifold off the GQ RB30 as it was leaking / noisey.

The what I think is the EGR pipe that goes into the end of the exhaust manifold was so tight / rusted that it was unable to be undone. I ended up cutting the pipe clean enough that I could rejoin it.

On inspection it looks like the exhaust manifold is cracked so I will need to replace with one from a wreckers or buy a set of extractors. Does any one know if this EGR pipe is needed for the engine to perform correctly and if extractors on the RB30 makes much difference?

Thanks in advance

Luke

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,342 Times in 3,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Head over to the introductions and tell us a bit about yourself and your Patrol http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions.

The EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. It is fitted to engines to lower the temperature of combustion which reduces the amount of nitrogen oxides emitted by the exhaust.

It is part of the pollution reduction system and you can be fined quite a bit if you remove or block it.
    Last edited by mudnut; 9th December 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

lsmitti (10th December 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudnut, thanks for the reply. I will head on over to the intro's area Cheers! I will try to hook it back up, just not sure if new extractors will have a hookup for the pipe.

Just wanting to know my options if I can't hook it up for what ever reason.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My extractors had the outlet fitted.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsmitti View Post
    Hi Mudnut, thanks for the reply. I will head on over to the intro's area Cheers! I will try to hook it back up, just not sure if new extractors will have a hookup for the pipe.

Just wanting to know my options if I can't hook it up for what ever reason.

Cheers!
    Yeah, please introduce yourself and your rig.
    It's exciting to know new RB30 patrollers.

Most folks here believe there is a slight performance boost after installing extractors.
    Perhaps, when combined with a good tune up, extractors can be pretty handy to gain a bit of take off power boost.

If your is petrol only, then by law EGR must be there.
    Mine's dual fuel which runs on LPG 99.9999% of the time.
    The copper EGR pipe between the exhaust manifold & EGR valve had cracked half way between the two in mine.
    I plugged up the holes on both ends and removed the EGR system entirely.

Ideally, EGR system is fine tuned to take some heat out of the combustion chamber as @mudnut explained above.
    So, we can argue removing the EGR can increase the combustion chamber temperature slightly to the point
    the engine may need timing/tuning adjustment to suit that.

IMHO, it's there for emission control reasons, rather than engine health. In reality, diverting exhaust gas back into the
    intake via EGR can create unnecessary soot buildup inside the intake, particularly when the EGR system is old and out of 'tune'.

If the EGR system is in good nick, I would leave it alone. Since, you've cut the EGR pipe, I think it's a bit of work either way.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

lsmitti (10th December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

First post here, I have tried searching but can't find anything relating to this query.

I have just removed the Exhaust Manifold off the GQ RB30 as it was leaking / noisey.

The what I think is the EGR pipe that goes into the end of the exhaust manifold was so tight / rusted that it was unable to be undone. I ended up cutting the pipe clean enough that I could rejoin it.

On inspection it looks like the exhaust manifold is cracked so I will need to replace with one from a wreckers or buy a set of extractors. Does any one know if this EGR pipe is needed for the engine to perform correctly and if extractors on the RB30 makes much difference?

Thanks in advance

Luke
    Make sure the exhaust manifold is actually cracked, rather than leaking from side due to rust/porosity etc.
    I would say it's quite rare for the RB30 stock exhaust manifold to crack like that.

It might be a good idea to put a set of extractors in case you have to replace the stock manifold if it's cracked.
    Wrecker might ask $100 or even more for a stock exhaust manifold, in which you're better off putting that money
    into extractors.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are going to block it off, at the very least, fit a pipe to make it look as if the system is running properly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (10th December 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the reply's.

Dom14 the existing manifold looked to be leaking from the gasket and the EGR pipe fitment and not from this newly found hairline crack which is visible from the outside and inside of the manifold. I don't see much much point in bolting the old manifold back up with this crack and actually probably can't anyways as i have massacred the nut trying to undo the EGR pipe attached to the manifold.

If I'm going to throw extractors in i'm guessing it's best to find some that have a 2 1/2 inch end pipe and replace the Cat back section with 2 1/2 inch. Any one know of anywhere that does a cheap complete system? I really don't want to have to weld a flange on the end of the extractors to bolt up to the new / exisiting system.

Im based on the sunshine coast. Which I guess you would know if I got over to the intro section

Now to go buy some easyouts as two studs didn't play nicely pulling the manifold off.

Cheers all.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the reply's.

Dom14 the existing manifold looked to be leaking from the gasket and the EGR pipe fitment and not from this newly found hairline crack which is visible from the outside and inside of the manifold. I don't see much much point in bolting the old manifold back up with this crack and actually probably can't anyways as i have massacred the nut trying to undo the EGR pipe attached to the manifold.

If I'm going to throw extractors in i'm guessing it's best to find some that have a 2 1/2 inch end pipe and replace the Cat back section with 2 1/2 inch. Any one know of anywhere that does a cheap complete system? I really don't want to have to weld a flange on the end of the extractors to bolt up to the new / exisiting system.

Im based on the sunshine coast. Which I guess you would know if I got over to the intro section

Now to go buy some easyouts as two studs didn't play nicely pulling the manifold off.

Cheers all.
    Yeah, it is PITA with the spot where the EGR pipe joins the exhaust. That's where mine cracked the pipe and I decided to plug it.
    And yeah, absolute PITA when the studs break on the exhaust manifold or even on the cylinder head, but it is pretty common.
    I had to spend hours extracting the broken stud & tapping it when mine had the same issue of broken studs.
    I used stainless steel studs with the hope of having to never face the same problem. Only time can and will tell stainless steel studs are any better.

@mudnut 's suggestion to make the EGR look authentic is the way to go to keep yourself our of trouble if you're ever faced with a roadside inspection. What most people do is to simply use a blocking plate on the intake manifold port where the EGR pipe from the EGR valve joins the intake manifold, or where the EGR pipe joins the exhaust manifold, or both. You can either purchase the matching blocking plate from ebay or make your own out of a piece of sheet metal as i did. If the EPA decide the sniff test vehicles then the stealthy approach won't make any difference. But, there will be lot of cars that will end up off the road if they do, so I doubt that can happen soon.

I think, if you don't wanna do the welding part DIY, then make few visits to local exhaust shops and search for a good deal.

It is possible to repair that crack on the stock manifold, but probably ain't worth the trouble.
    When the EGR pipe cracked, I basically applied some maniseal on it and wrapped with an exhaust wrap, and kept going like that for
    quite a few months before I pulled out the whole EGR system & plugged the hole on the exhaust. Cost me only five bucks to buy the plug from Pirtek.
    Last edited by dom14; 10th December 2017 at 12:32 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dom14!

Great bits of info!

I hadn't heard of maniseal. This looks like just what I need, and as you say and a bit of exhaust wrap. It's a bit tricky getting the GQ to the shops without any exhaust to have it welded up to the remainder of the exhaust so will probably have to come up with something to bolt up at home.

I can't seem to find any extractors which have the flange welded on the end :S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast