Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rb30 carby to efi

Hey guys,

I know so much has already been posted about this but I’m finding it hard piecing all the the different info from different threads together in order to fully understand all the steps involved.

I just bought a gq patrol rb30 with a cracked head. As such I’m looking to just replace the motor but at the same time I thought might as well do a carby to efi conversion.

I have bought a vl engine from an old commodore that has come with all bolt ons, wiring loom and computer. What I’m really looking for is possibly a step by step on what I ultimately would require to get this going. I’ve read that I need to change the fuel sump, is there anything else? Also is the rb30 starter motor compatible with the Vl?? If someone could enlighten me to what else I need on top of/change with this conversion it would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first project so I have been learning a lot along the way and would like to try and do everything myself but am a little concerned with the wiring side of things. Is there anything I could possibly do wrong in the wiring that would stuff anything up? If so I would be happy to get someone else out to do that part but would like to attempt myself providing I know I won’t damage anything. If someone knows someone or is willing to do the wiring themselves and live in Brisbane I’ll be more then happy to pay and even throw a carton your way.

Any good links or videos would also be great!

Thanks guys,

Les

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum @pat in a troll has done the conversion, but I don't know whether he is still on the forum. His thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...EFI-Conversion is invaluable.

The bottom end of the RB30 is almost bulletproof. How bad is the engine that is in your machine now? If the bores are ok, there is bugger all piston slap and the top of the block is flat, it would be lot easier just to swap the head over.
    Last edited by mudnut; 6th December 2017 at 12:05 AM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah mate there is a crack in one of the pistons as well, And for the price of all the parts to replace everything it’s just as expensive as the engine I’ve already bought. Thanks for the link btw

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanls View Post
    Nah mate there is a crack in one of the pistons as well, And for the price of all the parts to replace everything it’s just as expensive as the engine I’ve already bought. Thanks for the link btw
    It might help to find out how a NA RB30 engine managed to crack a piston.

You obviously pulled out the head and witnessed the cracked piston?!
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate just wondering how you went with this . Did you finish the conversion ?