Thread: installing a a/c condenser fan on my GU8

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

installing a a/c condenser fan on my GU8

Like most with 2012 crd's, mine doesn't come with a fan, so ordered a fan from wreckers, and checked out the plug taped to the loom by the bonnet latch.
    My plug has 2 wires, green/yellow and purple.
    Every diagram I have found shows a yellow wire from the relay to the fan and black to earth.
    Have I found the correct plug? OR is there no fan plug on my model?
    I have a cooling fan relay in the "box" by the battery, top row extreme right (blue). From the diagrams I have, it isn't wired for the fan, only the power side from the aircon relay. The fan main power has no fuse or wiring in the main fuse box by the battery, which obviously needs doing.
    I have tried searching the workshop manuals on the forum, but not knowing what section code to look for, having difficulty finding the a/c section.
    cheers
    Lana
    Last edited by shantillylais; 30th November 2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: more info
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

installing a a/c condenser fan on my GU8

Hi Lana,
    I went through the same process about 6mth ago with my 2016 patrol. The condenser fan is still sitting in the shed because, like you , I found lots of bits missing. I also have a plug in about the right spot but couldn’t establish if it was the correct one, certainly is different to the socket on the fan I have.
    I have a Relim wiring manual. It only goes to about 2010 but I’ll try get some pics of the pages I was using for reference if you like?
    I came to the conclusion that It probably wasn’t needed since the a/c in the new patrol is way better than in the old one (and it had a condenser fan!)

Cheers
    Trev
    Last edited by trev zd30; 30th November 2017 at 09:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trev zd30 For This Useful Post:

shantillylais (3rd December 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Trev, much appreciated. My aircon is average at best. The diagrams I have used are from the manuals on this forum and they are 2004 so yours are possibly more current. As far as the plug is concerned, mine is more toward the drivers side ie it is exiting the loom that way. Others I have seen are almost centred on the passenger side of centre above where the fan usually fits. Any help is always gratefully received
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could just wire it via a switch on the dash with a relay and use the switch wire on the relay from the power wire on the a/c. Somewhere that may be. Sorry thats all I got atm.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mudski that is my plan B but for the moment I would like to try and use the factory wiring if I can.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shantillylais View Post
    thanks mudski that is my plan B but for the moment I would like to try and use the factory wiring if I can.
    The factory a/c plug is on the left side of the radiator support panel. The one on the right, kind of near the back side of the headlight, I believe is for an external heat sensor if you have a Ti model with the outside temp display.
    Pull the relay from the box and run a test light over wires in the box and switch on the A/c and see if one lights up or not. You should have two active wires, one of the wires should light up when the a/c is turned on and one should have constant power. Then grab a multimeter and see if any of the other wires are connected to the plug you have found. This would tell you for sure if this is the correct plug. If you are missing the wires, or loom from the relay to the fan, its not overly hard to remove the entire relay box and add your own loom in to make that final piece.
    In my old snotter I had six spare spaces in my factory relay box. I also had six relay mounted every which way in the engine bay for various things. So I went to a wreckers and got another complete relay box with loom and grafted them into my existing relay box so that all my relays were together. Made things nice and neat.
    From my findings over the years the looms are the same from model to model. I.e my ST has all the extra plugs there that a Ti is using.Nissan just dont add the final pieces in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

shantillylais (1st December 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pm sent Trev

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiring diagrams emailed Lana.

Good luck with it. Wish I had the time to nut it out with you but if you need anything else just give me a shout

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trev zd30 For This Useful Post:

shantillylais (3rd December 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finished my fan install, using a 4 pin plug fan. By providing 2 power feeds both through relays, I have achieved a 2 speed fan. The first is the existing relay that I had to make a 2 wire loom for since it isn't wired and no plug on my car. The second is a standard 40a relay, wired from the A/C compressor relay outlet. I made an earth point above the fan on a threaded stud for the fan. I installed the new relay in the relay box next to the main battery. Power for the existing fan relay and additional relay came from the fusible link rail in the engine bay fuse box, and I independently fused both relays. I was going to put a fusible link in but found getting the rail out too big a job. I have attached my wiring diagram, with wire colours kept as Patrol wiring diagrams there is a list on the diagram. I have highlighted in yellow the new wiring, and the existing relays in green.new wiring.jpgnew wiring.jpg

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops sorry about that I didn't realise I had hit the button twice. How do I remove one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast