Thread: The value of dual fuel filters

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The value of dual fuel filters

The pic below is of the filtration elements from the two fuel filters just taken off my car. Standard factory type (Ryco Z332) on left, & the CAV type filter element I fitted as a pre filter on the right.

Both had been fitted at the same time about 12000kms ago, including our recent 10,000'ish desert trip.

On this basis I think in future I will change the pre-filter every 10,000kms & the standard filter every 20,000

Neither filter had any water in them.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 29th November 2017 at 05:21 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (3rd December 2017), Bigcol (29th November 2017), dads tractor (1st December 2017), jack (29th November 2017), jff45 (30th November 2017), MB (29th November 2017), mudski (2nd December 2017), PeeBee (29th November 2017), schanmala (30th November 2017), Touses (30th November 2017), Wine_maker (4th December 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa what micron are you running for your pre .I've just finished doing mine about a half hr ago and am running 30 micron in a filter water separator in a fuel manager unit .Went the whole hog and installed a primer bulb between tank outlet and filter which allows a quicker bleed of both filters ,the bulb is 10 mm or 3/8 brand Scepter marine p/n 05869 and got it from Road Tech Marine .Not all bulbs are diesel suitable .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are the Delphi version of the CAV type glass bowl filter, bought online from Ebay/Wagga Tractors. Delphi 296. Depending on where you look they are either 5, 5.5 or 6 to 9 microns!
    The diesel in the glass bowl had a fair bit of fine sediment in it, whereas the diesel I drained from the standard filter was very clean.
    Fitting the primer bulb is probably one of the best mods anyone could make I reckon (IMHO). I also fitted one when I fitted the CAV filter (I copied Macca) & it makes priming SO easy compared to those silly short stroke pumps on top of the standard filter. Would be worthwhile even without the pre-filter. I also found that not all primer bulbs were rated for use with diesel, & shopped around until I got one that was.

If I was fitting the pre-filter again I'd consider putting it on the passenger side of the motor, even though it would significantly increase hose lengths, only because accessing it where I have it is a bit too squeezy, making the task of replacing the filter element & re-bolting the assembly back together a bit of a juggling act. I suspect that if I ever need to replace a filter element out in the desert it will provided sufficient motivation for me to move it when I get back home.

IMG_8095.jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cheated my filter is down the back under the tray easy to get too .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Cuppa what micron are you running for your pre .I've just finished doing mine about a half hr ago and am running 30 micron in a filter water separator in a fuel manager unit .Went the whole hog and installed a primer bulb between tank outlet and filter which allows a quicker bleed of both filters ,the bulb is 10 mm or 3/8 brand Scepter marine p/n 05869 and got it from Road Tech Marine .Not all bulbs are diesel suitable .
    Thanks dad, just ordered a deluxe in 5/16", sill make the job easier to prime I am sure after filter changes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (3rd December 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Must have copped some dirty fuel on your travels there cuppa. I only have the single fuel filter, but I change mine every second 5k oil change regardless. Probably not necessary but I call it preventative maintenance....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Must have copped some dirty fuel on your travels there cuppa. I only have the single fuel filter, but I change mine every second 5k oil change regardless. Probably not necessary but I call it preventative maintenance....
    Yep, that red dust gets in everywhere, I think you have to expect it & prepare for it if heading out into the outback.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (3rd December 2017)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Yep, that red dust gets in everywhere, I think you have to expect it & prepare for it if heading out into the outback.'

And differant areas have better quality red dust then others ;my winner out of the NT Gulf ,Central AU ,Simpson would be Wiepa Red just special that stuff .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primer bulb arrived today, big sucker of a thing, so I think I will have to add a bit more fuel line pre the fuel filter to create a loop big enough to fit the pump plus my hand to operate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast