OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling system - how does it work.?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooling system - how does it work.?

Hi, another question I have is about cooling system. How does it work with the three different tanks? The bottom tank with min/max marks is full but the top tank is empty same as radiator is this problem? If it is what do I fill up?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Daniel2311
    The radiator should be full ,the tank on the side with pressure cap should be full ,and the other should be full to max mark .
    Make sure the cap you put on the radiator is not the pressure cap ,it goes on the bottle closest to the windscreen .
    Hope that helped .

Craig

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Craig, yes that explains things. Do you know what it means if after filling radiator too and bottom tanks and running it for a while the top tank empties and does not refill?

I'm going to push and ask what you think about coolant in the oil sump? Iwhats the worse it could be.

Thanks heaps Craig

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the Coolant level is dropping and getting into the sump that is often a head gasket/cylinder head.
    I spose one the bad scale, worst it could be is a cracked Block or Cyl Head but even a Head Gasket is $

I would go see a Rad mob and do a Cooling System Pressure Test if you cannot do it yourself.

Coolant Expansion Tank level should be above Min when cold and below Max when hot... I like the level up near Max myself same as FnqGu04
    Last edited by the evil twin; 26th November 2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Evil Twin, although we found coolant in sump the oil on dipstick is fine, it's oil, not brown or clingy. Could this be a sign it's not worse case. I've read on the forum if coolant in oil the oil is brown and frothy like a milkshake. Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel2311 View Post
    Thanks Evil Twin, although we found coolant in sump the oil on dipstick is fine, it's oil, not brown or clingy. Could this be a sign it's not worse case. I've read on the forum if coolant in oil the oil is brown and frothy like a milkshake. Thanks
    Strange that there is/was coolant in the sump... maybe it was below the oil pick up level and didn't emulsify.
    Maybe there was a leak and prev owner used an additive to seal it or whatever

Anyway, bottom line is you need to do a bit of sleuthing about your Cooling System going by your posts.

I would get a Cooling System Pressure Test done.
    If that comes back good then you have eliminated a whole lot of issues as it will tell you if there are any probs like a faulty Pressure Cap, Leaks etc
    As the vehicle is new to you it will take a while to sort out what is a problem and what isn't and/or what the prev owner may have covered up.
    I would get the Cooling System professionally flushed etc at the same time.

That will give you a lot more confidence that everything is as it should be.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... got to add I am not familiar with the RD28.
    It is about the only variant I have never owned so my comments are based on general experience with other Patrols

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate for your help, I've just been so disappointed since picking it up and have now stopped driving it and will get pressure test done as suggested. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel2311 View Post
    Thanks mate for your help, I've just been so disappointed since picking it up and have now stopped driving it and will get pressure test done as suggested. Thanks again for your help.
    Been there done that a few times over the years I can tell ya... best advice I ever got when I was young fella was "It's simply the joys of motoring, Son"

Keep at it and don't get too peed off, you'll love it once you get it sorted and the mob here on the Forum will help as much as we can

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eviltwin, had radiator compression test done and they were getting exhaust gases in radiator, head gasket.

It's now at mechanic who is going to pull the head off and will work out what the damage is??!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast