OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VI High Country. Our First Time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VI High Country. Our First Time.

Gidday all, we are heading down our holiday house in Yea for most of January (2018) We plan on doing a couple of day trips up into the high country. Can anyone reccomend a few locations. We have a HEMA high country altas but there are just so many awsome places to go its hard to decide!! If anyone is bored around January perhaps they could join us?

Cheers all.
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldcomfort For This Useful Post:

AB (22nd November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day mate, Sheepyard Flat not too far from Merijig is a great region for day and or overnight trips as you mentioned based in Yea for summer. Safe travels and please do download the new official ‘Victoria Emergency App’ and set both your location services on and watch updates afar before heading up. Apps can fail too so locals up there and a good eye/nose out is a fail safe too, Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (22nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,707 Times in 8,557 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bump the thread when the time comes mate and we'll see where I am at.

Woodspoint is one of my favourite little spots, small old mining town with a pub and a general store and a heap of shallow river crossings down the hill 1 minute from town with camping spots everywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We're doing an overnighter to Collins flat next weekend and doing a couple of local tracks to the dogs grave

KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Adding to MB's suggestions, you can also look at Pineapple flat, then head upwards to Craigs Hut. You also have King river hut, Lake Cobbler, and the hut and bindaree. All pretty much within cooee from each other. Can get busy there but its definitely a wonderful view at Craigs hut. Depending on when in Jan, i'd be keen for a day trip or overnighter.
    Last edited by mudski; 22nd November 2017 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, I doubt that will be doing any camping. It will just be day trips from Yea. As suggested I will bump this up a few days before. I think I should be in Yea by about January 4th. We have a few days work to do at the house but after that we plan on heading up into the high country.
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are!!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,707 Times in 8,557 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A simple half day trip right on your door step would be to check Murrindindi Scenic Reserve and the falls and around that area.

Not amazing area but a good insight to see how the bush has recovered from the horrific Black Saturday fires and it's literally 30 minutes from you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (3rd December 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As all the above. There is so much to see within Yea and surroundings... And then everything east of the lake. From Craigs hut, to all the amazing camp spots like Pineaple flats, sheepyars flats, Grannys flat etc...

The Hema Atlas is great. Follow some of those loop trips suggested in there out of Mansfield and you'll be able to see a lot by just following that.

But local knowledge is key! If you go into the smaller town like AB said, Woodspoint for example, stop at the store say g'day, have a chat buy a coffee and ask where to and what to from there.

Most important thing I have to say is...
    Allow plenty of time, if you're going to do some of those loops. Especially the Mt. Buller - Jamieson loop. The time suggested in that atlas is just "driving" time and not accounting in any unexpected stops, for example trees over tracks, fires etc... Up there anything can and does happen.
    And it doesnt account in any "viewing" stops, which is what up there is all about.
    I just spent a weekend east of Jamieson and even the half hour quick 4x4 trips out of the camp sites , blessed us with amazing views, old mines, etc...

Like @mudski said. If i'm free that weekend. I'd definitely come up for a day trip or overnighter. You dont have to twist my arm too much to head up there!
    @mudski Possible getaway is in order maybe ey?
    2005 TD42TI

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (27th November 2017), Bidja (29th November 2017), Coldcomfort (3rd December 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going from Yea to the HC for a day trip will be a really long day. You'd be better off swagging it for a night if you can. As for dates. I'm away from the 5th for two weeks. So this counts me out.
    Have fun.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Going from Yea to the HC for a day trip will be a really long day. You'd be better off swagging it for a night if you can. As for dates. I'm away from the 5th for two weeks. So this counts me out.
    Have fun.
    Won't be that bad. Mansfield from Yea is an hour drive for example. If they leave early , into Mansfield say 8-9am , grab a coffee on the way and most of those spots mentioned are 30 to 60 minutes from there. Then they have majority of the day too explore and see. Day light is generous in Jan.
    But yeah would be best to swag it overnight or something at one of the amazing spots.

I tell a lot of people falling asleep and waking up listening to a river up there ,and kookas in the morning is something to experience ... Such serenity !

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast