Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 Zd30 - Clutch issues?

Hi all

Looking for advice & new to the forum. I have a 2013 zd30 with 130k on the clock recently diagnosed with a leaking intercooler after a major service at Nissan. I'll sort this one out with a HPD unit... Shortly after the service however I noticed what to me seemed like a slipping clutch, 1st gear fine but as soon as you drop to 2nd (& 3rd from 2nd), revs about the 2000 mark and put the foot down the engine revs pick up fine but there is a significant lag before power is transmitted through the drive train & the rear wheels catch up with the rev counter! Nissan says its the intercooler issue causing this but this feels like a clutch about to fail. I'd rather not take it to Nissan if it is as they'll just replace it with the standard unit, rather put in a heavy duty aftermarket unit.

Any advice welcome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

I'd have no issues with replacing the clutch with a standard unit if you get 130,000 plus from it. That is 6 and a half years of service for a vehicle used at the normal average usage - presuming you haven't owned yours from new and you are doing 35,000 per year.....

By all means go for an aftermarket heavy duty one, as it will be easier on the hip pocket, but replace the dual mass flywheel too at the same time.

I am in the boat of sticking with the dual mass unit - even though the single mass units are cheaper ...

I believe that Nissan wouldn't have used them if they didn't need them .. some people swear they make a huge difference ... some people say they can't tell, so it is a gamble I suppose
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To test your clutch, try taking off in second and then third gear on a slight uphill gradient.

If the clutch is OK, then it should be tricky to get going in second and stall in third.

Slipping will mean the engine will flare and the revs will rise with not much movement.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers!

Yeah, clutch is gone. Thanks for the advice on the dual mass, Ill chat to my mechanic. I bought the vehicle 2nd hand so no idea whether this is the 1st clutch.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will add that I do believe you cannot machine a DMF. Happy to be told otherwise. So if you are replacing the clutch, a new DMF will have to be purchased. They are not cheap. The reason for the DMF is to help soften drive train noise and vibration.

To me its a no brainer. Replace the fly wheel with a solid unit, its cheaper and can be machined. Theres not as great deal of difference in noise and vibration. I did hte change over on mine, pre TD conversion, and it was fine. If you do not replace the flywheel and only change the clutch, you will instantly lose warranty on the clutch aswell. That just my take on it though. Horses for courses....

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2006 3.0DDi clutch failed at less than 100k. Replacement was a nightmare. I got the Excedy unit and flywheel, basically for robustness. I found the solid flywheel DOES add to vibration, but not enough to be a problem. Managing the gearbox in and out is a bear, and I handed it off to a professional.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Gary For This Useful Post:

rob.davison.07@gmail.com (22nd November 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote-Nissan says its the intercooler issue causing this but this feels like a clutch about to fail. I'd rather not take it to Nissan if it is as they'll just replace it with the standard unit, rather put in a heavy duty aftermarket unit.

Any advice welcome![/QUOTE]

I replaced the flywheel and clutch in my old patrol some years ago using Nissan. The flywheel was replaced under warranty and they advised I could pay the difference between a genuine and heavy duty clutch to have the HD one installed at the time.

I guess what I’m trying to say is not all Nissan service centres are the same and if you have a good relationship with one they should offer you options.

Cheers
    Trev

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trev zd30 For This Useful Post:

rob.davison.07@gmail.com (22nd November 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mudski!

Yes, spot on. Mechanic confirmed you cant machine a DM so Ill go with the solid.