Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecting two trailers together

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i have seen trailers like the second trailer on the red truck you pictured, but like only about 10 foot by 6 foot wide. i think that the main reason they are not common is because they are heavy (taking into consideration an extra wheel set, brakes and steering). this would not leave as much load capacity before you hit GVM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not legal in Qld at least

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fwdpatrol For This Useful Post:

dom14 (20th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Hi Dom, I am not sure that people don’t do it cos it’s illegal, more that it’s illegal because the engineering of the tow set up, axel positioning, loading and weight distribution, brakes and lighting are a completely different set up. Add to this the training and skills to control the rig and it is not the thing you want to see a tourist doing. Tow vehicle followed by a caravan then the boat and a couple of quads on a third trailer, no not a good look. It would give the mermaids something to think about though, if it was part of their jurisdiction or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I can see that. It doesn't look good.
    And obviously a tough ask when it comes to reversing such trailer trains, a functional impossibility I reckon. Standard tow ball coupling pig trailer only allows a single trailer to be reversed. Adding more in that setup means we can only go forward & safety wise it's a bad call.

I'm asking basic questions here I guess.
    For example, why don't we have for axle sem-trailer type trailers for light vehicles, rather than
    standard pig trailers that relies of the downward force on the towball to maintain the vertical balance
    of the trailer??!!
    Standard pig trailer demands we put most of the weight at the front end of the trailer for the whole setup to be stable.

Why can't we make caravans and trailers(light weight of course) with for axles similar to semi-trailer setup & utilize a coupling method similar to those heavy semi-trailer setups? Would that not make it safer & more reliable to tow?

Sure, if the standard car license isn't enough to drive such a setup, it can easily meant the driver of such a setup need to get truck/semi-trailer license upgrade by going through a necessary training and assessment.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    i think i have seen trailers like the second trailer on the red truck you pictured, but like only about 10 foot by 6 foot wide. i think that the main reason they are not common is because they are heavy (taking into consideration an extra wheel set, brakes and steering). this would not leave as much load capacity before you hit GVM
    Yeah, I think you explained the reasons above pretty well.
    It might have something to do with load capacity & GVM.
    Light vehicles won't be able to tow double axle smaller & lighter version of the heavy semi-trailers without hitting the load capacity
    & GVM.

I was wondering the double axle pig trailers out there could be made with axles apart like in a semi-trailer & a coupling method similar to those heavy semi-trailers. This would remove the need for the weight to be at the front and also can employ a more sophisticated coupling system similar to heavy semi-trailers. I'm wondering whether that is a possibility, without violating any existing laws or licensing requirements.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This subject reminds me of an article that I read in a RAC magazine about fifth wheelers. Apparently they are okay to drive in every state of Australia, but are classified as semi trailers in ACT. Has any one heard of this?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Ranger View Post
    This subject reminds me of an article that I read in a RAC magazine about fifth wheelers. Apparently they are okay to drive in every state of Australia, but are classified as semi trailers in ACT. Has any one heard of this?
    Did you mean the below picture? That's what I've got after google imaging it("fifth wheelers").
    It's the first time I've come across that term, but the picture is not so unfamiliar though.
    I've seen it,and I've seen guys modifying caravans to be able to tow as a "fifth wheeler"(assuming that's the term)
    using a ute. I would say they are ok to drive anywhere in Australia, as you said above.
    But, ACT classifying them as "semi-trailers" means anybody driving a one would need an upgraded drivers license to cover
    that category?!

pickup-truck-and-cardinal-trailer-by-Larry-Page-980x571.jpg
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by dom14; 22nd November 2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah , 5th wheelers have been around for a long time . they are basicly a light weight semi trailer setup . i have also seen 5th wheeler setups with a pig trailer on the back, but i think it was in the US.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried to open your attachments dom but no go.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (22nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Ranger View Post
    As you mention, 5th Wheelers for LV's are OK in all States an Territories on C or LR license and have been for decades except ACT.
    Up until about 30 years ago the most common configuration was horse floats but once it became viable to 'convert' the Yank or Canadian models to ADR compliance (240 Volt/LH door/LPG/etc) the Aussie demand exploded and several Aussie Companies now make some very nice units.

Demand in Aus is so high now that the Yanks et al make ADR compliant models ex factory and Aussie models are made by Jayco Fifth Wheeler, Southern Cross Fifth Wheel Caravans, Winjana Fifth Wheelers, Travelhome, Venture Fifth Wheelers and Dryden Trailerhomes.

Back to the good old ACT...
    The ACT had a different wording to the other states in their Licensing Act so it was indeed illegal to drive them into the ACT unless the Driver had the appropriate HC License.
    The rigs themselves were always quite OK
    Obviously this was affecting Tourism etc so this anomaly was rectified a few years ago now http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/es...f/db_50929.pdf

Bottom line is you can now go anywhere in Aus with a fifth wheeler on a C or LR license (as determined by the tow vehicle)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 22nd November 2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bush Ranger (23rd November 2017), dom14 (22nd November 2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast