OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would a Camper trailer be ok on the road to Cape Leveque...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cape Leveque is a magical spot been there the once when my sister and brother in law used to live in Broome. As mentioned the road there can be quite rough but manage your speed and tyre pressures and you'll be fine
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short mate the corrigations and road conditions change all the time , go on any of the roads after a grader not so bad go in the tourist season or after some roads the corrigations are so bad it's like having square wheels .
    70 - 80 Kay's can be ok on some and on others forget it slow right down , if you reduce your tyre pressure don't go over 80 or even less depending how much pressure you let out .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get up there while its still a moderately difficult place to get to, it will only be a couple of more years and the road will be bitumen all the way. The place won't be worth going to once the grey nomads move in en masse.
    https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...eque-Road.aspx
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav72 View Post
    wish I had more time, this will be a few days with plans to return for weeks some time down the track
    FWIW - I accept that not everyone has as much time available as they'd like but I suggest that it is better to allow enough time to experience a few places & to miss out on others, than to try to fit more in & spend less time at each one. I certainly understand the 'desire' to fit as much in as you can after driving all that way but too often I've read negative accounts by folk of wonderful places (Dampier Peninsular & Kakadu NP being prime examples) simply because they rushed it, sticking to intineraries made without the experience to appreciate the realities of long distance travel. Doing so only resulted in frustration reality failing to match dreams & expectations.

As has been said road conditions vary. Some corrugations are ok at 60-70kph, some are not. Do not subscribe to the common myth that you need to go fast enough to skip across the top of the corrugations. Whilst it does make the going feel smoother, the car is till getting hammered, but more importantly it is very unsafe. Most roll overs on the Gibb are from exactly this. When heavy or emergency braking or emergency manouvers are needed the driver has very little control. Most roll overs on the Gibb are inexperienced drivers driving to a schedule!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav72 View Post
    wish I had more time, this will be a few days with plans to return for weeks some time down the track
    FWIW - I accept that not everyone has as much time available as they'd like but I suggest that it is better to allow enough time to experience a few places & to miss out on others, than to try to fit more in & spend less time at each one. I certainly understand the 'desire' to fit as much in as you can after driving all that way but too often I've read negative accounts by folk of wonderful places (Dampier Peninsular & Kakadu NP being prime examples) simply because they rushed it, sticking to intineraries made without the experience to appreciate the realities of long distance travel. Doing so only resulted in frustration reality failing to match dreams & expectations.

As has been said road conditions vary. Some corrugations are ok at 60-70kph, some are not. Do not subscribe to the common myth that you need to go fast enough to skip across the top of the corrugations. Whilst it does make the going feel smoother, the car is till getting hammered, but more importantly it is very unsafe. Most roll overs on the Gibb are from exactly this. When heavy or emergency braking or emergency manouvers are needed the driver has very little control. Most roll overs on the Gibb are inexperienced drivers driving to a schedule!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (20th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot Cuppa said X2 ... twice

I also am of the view that twice as long in 1/2 the places can often be a much, much better way to visit a region.

No point in ticking the Box when you haven't seen what is inside it.

I esp agree with the comment about 'drivers trying to keep to a schedule causing issues/breakdowns'
    Last edited by the evil twin; 20th November 2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (20th November 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12