Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I do a beginner 4WD course

Gday

I have a Patrol, have'nt done more than a few hrs of off road 4wd,

Would you recommend that I do a bigger 4wd course (planning to do the Gibb River rd & Bungle Bungles nxt year) or shall I just keep going off road with mates and pick up the basics from there....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on how skilled your mates are... in most cases you will also learn any bad habits they have as well.

90% of 4WD techniques is not about getting there but how you go about it, assessing correct lines and, most importantly, how you get out of the trouble you get yourself in.

I would suggest doing a Course or joining a 4WD Club.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 19th November 2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th November 2017), Woof (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Depends on how skilled your mates are... in most cases you will also learn any bad habits they have as well.

90% of 4WD techniques is not about getting there but how you go about it, assessing correct lines and, most importantly, how you get out of the trouble you get yourself in.

I would suggest doing a Course or joining a 4WD Club.
    X2. It's easy to learn bad habits from mates that learned bad habits from their mates than it is to Unlearn them.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (25th November 2017), the evil twin (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join a 4WD club. Most well organised clubs offer FREE driver training to members. Also, you may find there are members running trips to parts of Oz you also want to go to. It's much safer and much more fun going to "remote" areas in a group.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely agree with you guys , a 4wd club would be the way to go for the novice planning a big trip like that .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a 'club type' person, but joining my local 4wd club was well worthwhile just to get access to the low cost 4wd proficiency training they provide (& expect any member who joins one of their 4wd outings to have completed). One evening theory & two days driving. Both my wife & I have done it & both of us gained a lot of confidence from the experience......... even though I had many years of off road motorcycling under my belt.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet - i was hoping you might suggest 4WD clubs
    Hopefully I'll find something out eastern melbourne thats not too hard core

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav72 View Post
    sweet - i was hoping you might suggest 4WD clubs
    Hopefully I'll find something out eastern melbourne thats not too hard core
    There are lots of 4wd "Clubs" on Facebook. I dont rate these as 4wd clubs in the true sense and would not point you in the direction of a Facebook based club. Facebook Clubs lack the foundations and or Training that you seek and likely just guys that met online all with Bad Habits you are trying to avoid. You want a club that has monthly meetings, a structured committee and a Trip Co-Ordinator. Affiliated with 4wd Vic would be a bonus. Visit the 4WD Vic website for a list of affiliates.

https://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/

Good luck, there are heaps of registered clubsx, some are more political and cliche' than others. Find one that fits your family and go for a few day trips.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (25th November 2017), GQtdauto (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree too and from own experience that unlearning bad old habits passed down is harder than starting with a clean slate mate. There is also some truly valuable information on many threads in here for starters that have surely saved lives to date. I am certainly grateful since joining and slowly learning safely/properly off the best on here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Agree too and from own experience that unlearning bad old habits passed down is harder than starting with a clean slate mate. There is also some truly valuable information on many threads in here for starters that have surely saved lives to date. I am certainly grateful since joining and slowly learning safely/properly off the best on here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    old school 80's Dad's bad habits mate...lol?

Christ it's lucky we are still alive!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017), MB (19th November 2017), mudski (20th November 2017), Rossco (24th November 2017), rusty_nail (19th November 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast