OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Bungle Bungles - high clearance vehicles only....

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bungle Bungles - high clearance vehicles only....

Hi

I read that Bungle Bungles - only access is available with High Clearance 4wd.

I have a patrol with high clearance (18" rims & 8.75" clearance underneath) - I assume that would be ok

Anyone done it and advise how hard / difficult it is.....

I have'nt done a lot of 4wd-ing.

Wondering about taking my camper trailer in there, or would people recommend against that......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "High Clearance" is defined by vehicle model ex factory and not aftermarket mods IE Patrols, Cruisers, Paj etc are all high clearance while SUV's are considered not to be so by most authorities.

Your 'Trol will be fine... as for the Camper that depends on the model but if it is reasonable quality it should get anywhere the Patrol can in the Bungles where trailers are allowed.
    BUT
    if you haven't done a lot of 4WD work esp 4WD with a Trailer on the back heed the advice of others about road conditions etc.
    Getting bogged/stuck with a trailer on the back adds a whole new dimension to recovery.

Having said that you will find the Bungles are very well administered as to where visitors can and cannot travel and most track challenges are due to ruts and corrugations from high traffic.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a dirt road, conditions will vary greatly depending upon weather & traffic.

We (wife & I) left our vehicle we had then (a bus) at the free camp (Spring Creek) alongside the highway where you turn off to the Bungles, & rode our trail bikes in. It was a fairly easy ride. Possibly a bit harder in a car as you can't always avoid things a bike can go around. However there is no 'OmigawdI'mgonnadie' type stuff, biggest risk is 4wd tour buses coming the other way. There were a few water crossings, but only one deepish one. Depending upon the weather there may be more than we had, or none at all. Most for us were no more than a few inches deep & quite narrow. The 'deep' one was narrow too, just that it had an unseen hole in the middle at the time. We crossed at the side of it on the bikes & then enjoyed watching the momentary looks of unexpected horror on the faces of a few 'Toorak tractor ' drivers as water surged over their bonnets for the split second before their car pulled them up & out the other side. All over in moments!

There was also a section with a lot of ruts filled with bulldust, but very easy to spot before you reached it, with multiple options for avoiding the worst of it. Mainly it's just a dirt road albeit often narrow & windy with a few rocky sections. Nothing to stress over, a walk in the park for a Patrol. Towing will always add another dimension, but I would have no hesitation pulling our Tvan in there.

If you can, do plan on a minimum of 3 days in the Bungles to appreciate it in a relaxed manner. We will be up that way again in 2018/9 & are really looking forward to being able to take our Tvan in, & staying there, in comfort for a week or more ......... compared to the minimalist experience we had for two nights laying on hard ground & eating dehydrated rations ...... you cant carry a lot on a trail bike - even had to arrange for someone from the free camp to drop off some extra fuel for us at the ranger station in order to allow us a sufficient fuel range to explore the Bungles once we were there, & get back out again.

Wonderful place.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 19th November 2017 at 03:01 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Being a dirt road, conditions will vary greatly depending upon weather & traffic.

We (wife & I) left our vehicle we had then (a bus) at the free camp (Spring Creek) alongside the highway where you turn off to the Bungles, & rode our trail bikes in. It was a fairly easy ride. Possibly a bit harder in a car as you can't always avoid things a bike can go around. However there is no 'OmigawdI'mgonnadie' type stuff, biggest risk is 4wd tour buses coming the other way. There was a few water crossings, but only one deepish one. Depending upon the weather there may be more than we had, or none at all. Most for us were no more than a few inches deep & quite narrow. The 'deep' one was narrow too, just that it had an unseen hole in the middle at the time. We crossed at the side of it on the bikes & then enjoyed watching the momentary looks of unexpected horror on the faces of a few 'Toorak tractor ' drivers as water surged over their bonnets for the split second before their car pulled them up & out the other side. All over in moments!

There was also a section with a lot of ruts filled with bulldust, but very easy to spot before you reached it, with multiple options for avoiding the worst of it. Mainly it's just a dirt road albeit often narrow & windy with a few rocky sections. Nothing to stress over, a walk in the park for a Patrol. Towing will always add another dimension, but I would have no hesitation pulling our Tvan in there.

If you can, do plan on a minimum of 3 days in the Bungles to appreciate it in a relaxed manner. We will be up that way again in 2018/9 & are really looking forward to being able to take our Tvan in, & staying there, in comfort for a week or more ......... compared to the minimalist experience we had for two nights laying on hard ground & eating dehydrated rations ...... you cant carry a lot on a trail bike - even had to arrange for someone from the free camp to drop off some extra fuel for us at the ranger station in order to allow us a sufficient fuel range to explore the Bungles once we were there, & get back out again.

Wonderful place.
    Thanks for the insightful knowledge, I'm looking forward to getting away from the coldness of Victoria, and imersing into the Kimberley - I'll have my new air opus camper trailer!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opus will get you in there easy Peasy , mine just soaks up anything I threw at it from Wonnangatta through corner country no major dramas .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have done any offroading, you will find it easy 4 wheeling ... just rocky, with lots of twists and turns and jump ups...... with some 'V' Style creek crossings.

High clearance is only for the rocks, V creek crossings that can cause a normal car to get stuck, and vary in height after rain, and possible hidden rocks in the water

It is a very slow trip, but well worth it in my opinion
    Last edited by happygu; 20th November 2017 at 07:06 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    The opus will get you in there easy Peasy , mine just soaks up anything I threw at it from Wonnangatta through corner country no major dramas .
    cheers mate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gav72 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (20th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in there in 2014 and found the track fairly easy but people do get caught out trying to go too fast, the photo below was someone who rolled their Jackaroo going too fast the day before we got there.
    Just take your time driving in and you will be fine.

IMG_0180.jpg

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we found the tracks fine, the creek crossings were nothing, only the steepness of the entry and exits might give you problems with a big van, but dont have a camper so cannot comment, however there were no campers in the campsite we were at and a herd of caravans parked up in the bulk storage area on the entry point to the park. Loved this place also.