Thread: Gammon & flinders ranges trip

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gammon & flinders ranges trip

Recently returned from a ten day trip to the Gammon and Flinders Ranges, to sum it up in one word - WOW.
    Absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back again, last time I was up there was 30 years ago and tented at Wilpena Pound.

We did about 3,000km and averaged 14.33 L/100km, best was 12.44 and worst 18.95 - no towing but pretty well loaded up. At this point I have to say I love my automatic, 26psi and it went everywhere, didn't even use the rear locker and relied on the auto hubs.

Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary

Cut across from Leigh Creek to get there and the numbers of Emus and wild goats were staggering. Apparently there are 200,000 wild goats in the Flinders and Operation Bounceback is putting a concentrated effort into eradicating them. When leaving Arkaroola we were advised that if taking the Copley Rd to wind up the windows and run aircon on recirc as they had shot 14,000 in the week and with 35c temps they would be humming.

We spent four nights at Arkaroola (we got a great deal and stayed in the Mawson Lodge), I've had various reports on the place but I believe it was worth it and would happily go back. It's their low season and they only had four lots in the caravan park and about the same number in the camp grounds, the motel had about the same number so we basically had the place to ourselves.

Did all the self drive tours available and this involved lots of low range and some gnarly ascents and descents, the views were spectacular. It was very rare to see another car at all but the wildlife was abundant, especially the yellow footed rock wallaby which is making a big comeback. We didn't do any of the astronomy tours.

Decided to send up big and do the ridge top tour ($155), in my case it was money well spent. When I booked it I wasn't aware that the Sillers Lookout part had been closed all year due to the condition of the track, it was unsafe for the open top trucks they use due to their high centre of gravity. Here's where I got lucky. Since there were only three starters the owners son Mark Sprigg took us in an 80 series Toyota, he asked if we wanted to have a crack at getting to the lookout? Well I was in the front passenger seat in a flash and we were off, Mark is only 23 but knew the track pretty well (naturally).

His commentary was brilliant and you could feel his passion for the place. He showed us where the bulldozer got to and died (sat there for over a month waiting for parts to get it out), once you passed that spot you can see why they closed the track. Low range auto, no lockers and the 80 series got to the top, what a view. A lamington and cup of tea to celebrate and we went on our merry way. As it was the only tour for the day he asked if we were in a hurry to get back on time, he got the right answer so he took us to a couple of significant spots that aren't on the usual tour. After about 4.5hrs into a 4hr tour I knew my wife would be getting a little anxious. Couldn't stop laughing when we arrived back after 5hrs to be greeted by the police, my wife had seen them drive in and thought the worst. She asked them if they were there because of an accident and they laughed and re-assured her all was good.

Breakfast was included in our package and also two dinners so we utilised the camp kitchen for the other couple of nights. Next stop was Wilpena Pound and Willow Springs (via the Blinman Rd)

To be continued.......
    Last edited by jack; 15th November 2017 at 11:55 PM.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

AB (17th November 2017), Chubba (17th November 2017), Cuppa (16th November 2017), gaddy (19th November 2017), MB (18th November 2017), mudnut (20th November 2017), Plasnart (16th November 2017), Rossco (16th November 2017), TPC (16th November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That road was shockers earlier in the year , magic area .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

jack (16th November 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love the pics. My last trip out that way was some 20years ago in my MK shorty. But. Who is this jack bloke?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific photos and good info too, thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Willow Springs & Skytrek

After leaving Arkaroola we headed towards Wilpena Pound and used this as our base to explore the surrounding highlights. I think all the goats that escaped the heli shooters in the national park were congregated along the Blinman road, mobs of 50+ were not uncommon.

Willow Springs Station

The Reynolds family Willow Springs Station hosts a variety of accommodation and a pretty amazing self drive track called Skytrek.
    I'd heard this was pretty impressive and well worth the visit so naturally I had to check it out. This 80km track consists of a series of station roads, old mining and goat shooters tracks, and a fire break. Cost is $65 per vehicle and estimated time is about 6 hours to complete.

You get a key and a map of the track, also several pages of 50 numbered points of interest along the track to check out. After signing your rights away Brendan marked three sections in red on the map and advised extreme caution, this caught my attention. All points of interest are clearly marked on the track, you reset your speedo at the start and it gives you an indication of the distance to the next point (not to accurate if running bigger tyres).

The first half of the track is fairly sedate with limited need for 4wd but has plenty of interesting sights, I've got about 400 pictures of the trip but I'll only post a couple of significant ones here. None of the pictures can really do the area justice.

There are a couple of areas that have Petroglyphs which were carved long before the Adnyamathanha inhabited the area.

Old Moxans Hut was restored by the Nissan Patrol Club of SA some time ago, one of our members Rock Trol was involved with this.

Second motorised grader in the Hawker district, used on Willow Springs Station until 1982.

The Ochre Cliffs follow the creek bed, amazing changes of colour along the way.

At the halfway mark we were well ahead of schedule, this soon changed at point 43 - Engage 4WD is quite prominent on the map.

We drop fairly steeply down to the original Willow Springs Waterhole/Spring and from here it got fairly hairy. We were the only vehicle on the track that day and I'm not used to driving on loose stone, I soon learnt.

Next was a massive climb up a barren hill of loose stone to Prominent Hill Lookout 704m above sea level, the view was impressive BUT not as impressive as the descent!

Thought I'd better give the forum a plug in the visitors book.

The next 12km was a mixture of steep ascents and descents of various lookouts, the highest being Homestead Lookout at 725m.

I learnt heaps about my cars ability and mine on this trip and must give a big shout out to my wife for not getting out an walking. Plenty will probably think it was fairly easy but I rate it as the hardest I've ever done, I'm more used to mud and the added security of trees to stop you rolling forever. Total time taken was just over 6.5 hours.

To be continued.....
    Cheers
    Jack

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Chubba (17th November 2017), Cuppa (16th November 2017), gaddy (19th November 2017), GQtdauto (16th November 2017), GU CAMPER (21st November 2017), MB (18th November 2017), mudnut (20th November 2017), mudski (16th November 2017), PeeBee (16th November 2017), Plasnart (16th November 2017), TPC (16th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great writeup Jack. Flinders are spectacular indeed.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

jack (17th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh now I gotta go back , amazing .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilpena Pound, Appealinna Ruins and Surrounds

After leaving Arkaroola we based ourselves at Wilpena Pound while we explored the area.
    Wilpena Pound has certainly changed since my last visit 30 years ago, all the drives are closed and they concentrate on walking tracks (I like driving).

At Wilpena we attended a welcome to country by the Adnyamathanha people, informative and interesting. Scenery around Wilpena was pretty special (not to mention their visitor information centre). Since I'd seen so many Emus I thought I'd better try one for dinner that evening, smoked Emu bruschetta which didn't impress my wife.

Stokes Hill Lookout is next to Willow Springs and well worth a look, amazing views of the district and Wilpena Pound.

Arkaroo Rock was another point of interest.

I was fascinated by the Appealinna Ruins, and spent quite a bit of time exploring them. It's hard to imagine the hardships the early settlers endured in their fruitless task of trying to establish themselves. The information and signage for visitors is a credit to the organisers, everything was explained.

Rockwall to keep the stock out of the garden. Imagine what they would have given for a roll of ringlock!

Note the stone shelves in the corners, there were several ruins and all had these.

Well that's about it for my trip report, absolutely loved it and the photos really don't do the place justice.

As a thank-you to my wife for allowing me to indulge my folly we spent a day sightseeing in Hahndorf.

The end....
    Cheers
    Jack

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Chubba (21st November 2017), jay see (19th November 2017), MB (18th November 2017), mudnut (20th November 2017), Rossco (21st November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,240 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing Jack, great pictures and write up mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

jack (19th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were at the ruins earlier this year there were dead kangaroos in most of the ruins , one of the ones pictured had three dead Roos and the smell was truly something horrendous .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast