Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 'New' Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will look at the MAF sensor against Dads tomorrow.
    Regardless, I will give it a clean asap anyway.
    Use only a MAF sensor cleaner (CRC or the like).

I don't believe I have a manual boost controller that I saw, and I am not sure what a Dawes/Tillix is.
    Manual Boost control enable you set your max boost (with Dawes /Tillix) and spool rate and cruise boost (with needle valve). Dawes and Tillix are similar in operation. They can raise or lower the Max Boost level and are a one flow directional adjustable valve, eg: increase max boost pressure by screw adjusting the assy up which compresses a spring that forces a ball (at one end) up against the valve body seat and unscrewing it will lower the max boost.

The needle valve (adjustable) is basically a needlepoint on the end of a screw shaft and by closing it will increase the spool rate/pwr response and cruise boost. The reverse if unscrewed / opened.

IMO, manual boost control is a good investment and a good DIY mod.

It appears your boost behaviour and egts are not exhibiting erratic or high reading so you appear ok without manual boost control.
    IMO, I would aim for max boost of around 15psi (if no limp occurs) but manual boost control is required.
    Higher the boost lower the egts (just info).

Do a google on Dawes and you will get plenty to read, and a lot on the forum.

One other question on the EGT gauge...where does it take it's reading from? The combined Boost/EGT gauge is moving on the Boost side, but the EGTs seem to not move. The gauge goes from 300-700, and it always sits below the 300 mark, so either not working, or sitting around 250 max. Where should I be sitting in town/highway?
    There is probably a probe (pyro) located in the exhaust dump pipe.

My experience is primarily CRD. EGTs below 300 DegC are fine cruising around for DI eng. I think under high load situations (long hauls) should not to go over 500 DegC. Others may comment further but once again do a search as there is plenty of info out there.

With gearing ratios: Check your revs relative to speed against and other car of similar build (yr/model). Wheel tyre running dia will give varied performance. But you are checking RPM relative to speedo reading and comparing one against the other. Maybe your dads.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (18th November 2017), Karl07 (18th November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that detailed answer.
    I will get the MAF cleaner from Supercheap on my next day off.
    I have had Manual Boost Controllers previously, but had never heard of Dawes/Tilix.
    I also did not realize that higher boost gives lower EGTs...that's very good knowledge to have.
    As for the EGT gauge, I will verify that the probe is connected correctly, and hopefully if the EGTs rise, it will do it on the 4hr trip to the parents, and that will at least let me know that it is working haha.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:

Bidja (18th November 2017), GQtdauto (18th November 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I did the drive to Grafton. 4 hours at 100-110. The EGT gauge did not move, so I would br guessing it was fitted only for the boost part.
    Looks like ill have to get under there and fit the probe if its not there...i assume i can tap it at any point in the dump?

I drove dad's Patrol, and im now much happier with the power of mine.
    His certainly accelerates from a standstill easier, and the revs seem a bit more free, however my power comes in higher in the range and leaves his behind, so i guess its more likely that my chip is tuned differently than his.

He did tell me to get rid of the K&N in mine and get a genuine filter back in asap, so i will do that when i clean the MAF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12