Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let's talk Rooftop Tents

It has always been my #1 dream to own/use a RTT since day one of being in the 4x4/camping scene. But i've always been disheartening by the negative aspects of owning one. On my d22 i had a roof rack ready to go and setup for a RTT, but I sold the car before getting the actual tent.

To me the pros would be, being well above ground away from everything, easy setup?, better air breeze up there? view? comfortable sleep etc etc... Just something about it, that cozy feeling sleeping in one.

Negatives are obviously, the constant size ,wind drag and weight on your roof, needs a specific roof rack, once setup the car is committed/anchored(this is my biggest drawback).

Me and @mudski went to the show few months ago and looked at several while we were there and it took good strength in me not to get one as Darche had some amazing setups and deals going.

So I'd like to know the forum's thoughts on roof top tents. Whos got one, whos used one, whats your thoughts?

2005 TD42TI

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (8th November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the tent we had. https://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppa5...57650857035438

I spent a long time looking & deciding & personally I reckon it's about the best available.

Main advantages over many others is that it doesn't use the ladder to hold it up, so when under the awning the ladder didn't get in the way, but the entry was fully covered. I also felt far more secure that the double bed did not extend beyond the vehicle's roofline.

No need to close the doors in even the worst weather, so always plenty of air.

Easy to put up & put away ..... except if you have it on a higher roof like I did ..... needed a step ladder to reach up .... wore pretty thin after while. Standard wagon roof height would have been ok.

Lower profile on the roof when packed up (although of course it takes up the entire roof so carrying other stuff up top is not an option).

Being unable to drive without packing up was not a problem for us. Generally we used the vehicle to go to where we wanted & then set up camp. Wouldn't be that great for folk who like to camp & then go out driving from the base camp each day though unless it was mounted on a trailer. (That's what the chap who bought it from us was planning to do)

Two reasons we decided to get rid of it..... bearing in mind our use was for extended travel ....... if use had been primarily for weekends & short breaks we would have kept it.
    1. I have a neck problem & with the extra height of our canopy I found the overhead work to put it up pretty uncomfortable. 2. The main reason however for selling it was that I also have intermittent back issues which make getting dressed in a sitting position with nothing to lean against, on top of the vehicle, pretty uncomfortable. Often this wasn't a problem,as I would normally get dressed down at ground level but as we never bothered zipping up the additional awning(s) (overhead/neck/stepladder ) when camped in company where 'modesty' was required getting dressed upstairs was required.

Ours was around 12 years old. They do hold their value so if you decide that isn't for you (as we did) you shouldn't lose much/anything if/when you re-sell.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 8th November 2017 at 05:46 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017), Yeti's Beast (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you I have often thought about getting one but hate the idea of having to pack it up to go anywhere.
    I have a camper trailer but there are places I would prefer to go without the camper.
    Next year we are doing Cape York and plan to leave the camper at Cooktown and my first idea was to have a rooftop tent for that part but have decided to take an Oztent instead so we still can use the car if we stay in one place more than one night.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love it @Cuppa . I love seeing the original kind of RTT's , on top of your usual cheapos like the Darche's, TJM's, ARB etc...
    That setup you had must have been comfortable to sleep in/on, as from I can see in the photos, the matres is class 1 as well.

Work mate used to have a South African made *something* moon tent. I should have jumped at it when he was selling it. This thing was built like a tank. The canvas on it was unlike anything i've seen before or since. The quality of it definitely meant business. But it was really heavy.
    2005 TD42TI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howling Moon.

Yep there is a bit of weight. 70kgs I think.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hodge mate, you’ve inspired me to go out front and open up my old home made heavy as hell roof topper from a past life Cape trek :-) @Plasnart ‘s version is much smarter/nicer and he may kindly share pics soon too ;-)
    Great fast things roof toppers like them for fast moving trips and is definitely cooler up top in the breeze safely away from piglets and crocodilians:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), Woof (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Plasnart has the best roof top tent setup I've seen and believe it is a home made jobbie.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017), rusty_nail (24th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mb

What brand is Grimme's?

I love Plazzys too but Grimme's is a whole other level.

Electronic set up with litttle winged awnings that come out on the sides for rain, amazing!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017), Rossco (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    main reason I don't have or want one is getting up to take a leak in the middle of the night after having a few, reckon there's been a few accidents had falling down or off ladders when half cut.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

Avo (9th November 2017), Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017), TPC (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘Bundutec’ - ‘Bundutop’ is next 10 levels up speed/weight saving wise. Top of the money tree needed though @Grimme !

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast