Thread: Let's talk Rooftop Tents

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    main reason I don't have or want one is getting up to take a leak in the middle of the night after having a few, reckon there's been a few accidents had falling down or off ladders when half cut.
    would never buy one but if worried about getting up for a wee during the night buy a hospital pee bottle with a lid
    Plus who wants 70kg plus on top of their roof , worst accessory ever up down up down not getting any younger.
    Plenty of better options. not very aero dynamic IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's mine:

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

Here's some from previous owner. Gas struts are knackered so canvas not pulled tight.

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

When I was looking for RTTs I didn't want the huge wind resistance that standard RTTs have, being at least 300mm high when packed. I also didn't want 80kg sitting up high for cross-gradient stability reasons. When I saw a guy with a Maggiolina unit on his roof one day I knew that was the kind of thing I wanted, but the Maggiolina's are expensive and also heavy. I found this one on ebay about 5-6 years ago and went to have a look at it.

Folded and welded aluminium checkerplate, approx 130mm high when closed. Very heavy canvas and zips. Excellent screens. The person (or people) who made this unit knew their stuff and made it well. I lined it inside (top and bottom) with marine carpet to combat condensation build up and thermal insulation. When travelling I have my mattress, bottom sheet, doona, blanket, pillow up there. Make the bed as I get out in the morning and it packs down with everything left in place. Gas struts both sides so just unclip the latches (1 each side, 2 at rear) and push it up. Takes 30 seconds and bed is ready. Pack up about 1 minute by pulling roof down, folding canvas inboard and expelling air as it comes down. Latch it up and away you go.

It's light, can pick it up and put it on the roof myself (although bulky and a bit of a struggle). But weight wise, it's probably about 30kg empty. Has not ladder, but step onto rear bumper, knee on top of spare and hoik in you go! An empty large-neck bottle required for night pees!

Cons: Not much room inside. Getting dressed/undressed is in sitting position and cumbersome. Night pees mean getting up on knees to perform the action. Not great. The "clam-shell" design doesn't leave much room for big feet when in bed (roof slopes down to hinge at front/foot end).

All up I'm very happy with it, but the older I get the less luxurious it is. For touring it's fantastic. For extended camping I'd prefer something easier to access/exit and more comfy.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th November 2017), MB (9th November 2017), threedogs (13th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Here's mine:

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

Here's some from previous owner. Gas struts are knackered so canvas not pulled tight.

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

When I was looking for RTTs I didn't want the huge wind resistance that standard RTTs have, being at least 300mm high when packed. I also didn't want 80kg sitting up high for cross-gradient stability reasons. When I saw a guy with a Maggiolina unit on his roof one day I knew that was the kind of thing I wanted, but the Maggiolina's are expensive and also heavy. I found this one on ebay about 5-6 years ago and went to have a look at it.

Folded and welded aluminium checkerplate, approx 130mm high when closed. Very heavy canvas and zips. Excellent screens. The person (or people) who made this unit knew their stuff and made it well. I lined it inside (top and bottom) with marine carpet to combat condensation build up and thermal insulation. When travelling I have my mattress, bottom sheet, doona, blanket, pillow up there. Make the bed as I get out in the morning and it packs down with everything left in place. Gas struts both sides so just unclip the latches (1 each side, 2 at rear) and push it up. Takes 30 seconds and bed is ready. Pack up about 1 minute by pulling roof down, folding canvas inboard and expelling air as it comes down. Latch it up and away you go.

It's light, can pick it up and put it on the roof myself (although bulky and a bit of a struggle). But weight wise, it's probably about 30kg empty. Has not ladder, but step onto rear bumper, knee on top of spare and hoik in you go! An empty large-neck bottle required for night pees!

Cons: Not much room inside. Getting dressed/undressed is in sitting position and cumbersome. Night pees mean getting up on knees to perform the action. Not great. The "clam-shell" design doesn't leave much room for big feet when in bed (roof slopes down to hinge at front/foot end).

All up I'm very happy with it, but the older I get the less luxurious it is. For touring it's fantastic. For extended camping I'd prefer something easier to access/exit and more comfy.
    "An empty large-neck bottle required for night pees". Bragger .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    "An empty large-neck bottle required for night pees". Bragger .
    No Coke bottle for me mate! haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (9th November 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    @mb

What brand is Grimme's?

I love Plazzys too but Grimme's is a whole other level.

Electronic set up with litttle winged awnings that come out on the sides for rain, amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just spoke with Sprock and Grimme's is called a Bundutop from www.bundutec.com.au in Moorabbin. About $3800 apparently.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the awesome pics , descriptions and thoughts. I have a lot of thinking to do as I own a OZtent RV4 already and an awesome comfortable ARB swag.
    @Avo Is that a Rhino Rack platform you have under your RTT ??????
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Thanks all for the awesome pics , descriptions and thoughts. I have a lot of thinking to do as I own a OZtent RV4 already and an awesome comfortable ARB swag.
    @Avo Is that a Rhino Rack platform you have under your RTT ??????
    Yes mate it it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Here's mine:

IMG_1349.JPG
    So you need to take a mobile crane and crew with you to put it up? . . . Not too much of a hassle I guess. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (9th November 2017), GQtdauto (9th November 2017), Hodge (9th November 2017), Maxhead (9th November 2017), MB (9th November 2017), mudnut (9th November 2017), rusty_nail (24th January 2018), TPC (9th November 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    Yes mate it it
    Is there a chance you could show us how you mounted the ARB tent to it ?

I was at ARB and the bloke didn't know how you'd mount it to the platform using their channel system. Their display was on the ARB rack, installed with U bolts.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    So you need to take a mobile crane and crew with you to put it up? . . . Not too much of a hassle I guess. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Haha yeah I lied about its weight. Forklift, crane and 500hp tractor to pull it up the slide!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (9th November 2017), Rossco (9th November 2017)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast