Thread: GU oil consumption

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU oil consumption

As a new member, I'm still not sure how to use this forum. I guess my question may have been asked before.
    What oil consumption should I expect from my 2008 GU Turbo diesel? I just traveled to Perth and back from Esperance, about 1500k and had to add 4 litres. The engine seems to be running cleanly. I have only had this vehicle for a couple of months. It only has 76, 000k on it. I'm also not pleased with fuel consumption, 12.5 and 14.8 on each run and 18+ around town. Do I perhaps have an engine problem?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be using any, even my GQ with over 400,000km uses hardly oil between changes.

Fuel wise, could be better, could be worse...... I use anywhere between 13.5-16 depending on what , how, where and when

edit........... just realised you have a 3lt CRD, so forget my fuel figures
    Last edited by Clunk; 7th November 2017 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessy08 View Post
    As a new member, I'm still not sure how to use this forum. I guess my question may have been asked before.
    What oil consumption should I expect from my 2008 GU Turbo diesel? I just traveled to Perth and back from Esperance, about 1500k and had to add 4 litres. The engine seems to be running cleanly. I have only had this vehicle for a couple of months. It only has 76, 000k on it. I'm also not pleased with fuel consumption, 12.5 and 14.8 on each run and 18+ around town. Do I perhaps have an engine problem?
    First welcome to the forum. Second, your question, wow, I have done Perth to Esperance and return once and Perth Hopetoun and return three times and haven't had to "top up" at all. In the last six months I have done Perth - Hopetoun and return, Perth - Nannup and return and Perth - Dwellingup and return, the only oil "used" was 100 mil in the catch can. The fuel figures are about correct, not knowing how you drive and where you were driving, ie. stop start around town or off road in 4wd. I get 12s to 13s most of the time and up to 16s sometimes around town. 18 is a bit high but not way out of reason I guess.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    First welcome to the forum. Second, your question, wow, I have done Perth to Esperance and return once and Perth Hopetoun and return three times and haven't had to "top up" at all. In the last six months I have done Perth - Hopetoun and return, Perth - Nannup and return and Perth - Dwellingup and return, the only oil "used" was 100 mil in the catch can. The fuel figures are about correct, not knowing how you drive and where you were driving, ie. stop start around town or off road in 4wd. I get 12s to 13s most of the time and up to 16s sometimes around town. 18 is a bit high but not way out of reason I guess.
    reckon it could be a turbo/intercooler issue?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    reckon it could be a turbo/intercooler issue?
    Cpuld be I guess. Would be worth checking under the intercooler and around the drain on the turbo for damp. But 4ltrs, thats a lot of oil gone somewhere. If its not dropping it out the bottom (ie leaking) then its blowing it out the exhaust, and that can't be good.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I was just cruising at about 107 kph. I'll get it looked at by the local Nissan dealer. Next trip is Kalgoorlie and return so that will reveal if it's still using.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check your IC first for oil around it

Mr Nissan & his stealers are not known for telling the truth or being helpful

do you have a catch can on it
    is it blowing heaps of smoke............................................. .......... especially under load
    is it hard to get up to 100km/p/h
    what size tyres have you got
    have you got your Auto hubs locked in
    does your hand brake work
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Everyone.
    Visited my Nissan Dealer today. They say it's because the oil is to thin - 5W40 when they use 15W. Mind you , they performed the last service. I was recommended 5W40 by a retailer when I bought oil to top it up. Next service, 80,000k is 3,000 k away, so they will replace it then. They said they have had this problem with a near new vehicle also. 5W is apparently not the go for warmer climates.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Bigcol. Bog standard GU common rail turbodiesel, no roof rack fitted, new Toyo 275/65R17's no smoke, good power hand brake ok - so no probs there. Dealer says its the light oil 5W- (see my main thread) Hope so. We just do beach work and will be towing a van. Interested to see if gas would increase power and decrease fuel consumption, although over mucking with gas after owning a Disco II V8 petrol/gas!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try 15w-60 or 20W-60.! 5W is too low.
    Chhetrs Tony