2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I’ve also heard of blokes using HT engine valves as Bobcat ramp locator pins, bad idea :-( Personally trialled HT and Mild bolts in lateral force tests on paddock trailer suspension and find HT shears off/snaps every time. We’ll have to get a recommendation off TD as to what bolts best suits his kit/lateral pull design:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,958 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HT only for straight pull forces is my understanding. Weak in shear.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    HT only for straight pull forces is my understanding. Weak in shear.
    Plassy, generally correct. depends on thread form, actual avail root diameter, and type of load, temperature, environment to name a few. Its a myth that putting high strength bolts , being a higher tensile rating will improve strength of a joint - depends whats physically happening. like what Mark suggests, high tensile bolts are generally harder and more brittle, due to the granular config within the material during manufacture, be it from heat treatment or the manufacturing methods like heat tempering or forging. It is possible to torque up a HT bolt to get a higher joint pressure and this is typically the application. They are less likely to strip the bolt thread than the parent metal, which is a danger and why torque settings are important. Also, the nuts are a matched part of the system and the nuts are slightly softer than the bolt to ensure one part of the system is elastic to a degree to give deformation grip, and also fail if the torque is exceeded, thus protecting at least one side of the system.

For example most normal assy's of manufacture are configured with grade 4.6 bolts or less as they are more forgiving of overload, more elastic and less prone to break due to their plasticity. Structural is usually defined in the GR8.8 range and are harder, higher tensile load capacity but less elastic due to the grains or plates in the material being longer and also the materials in the bolts add positive attributes but at a cost to other areas - generally you get a slightly higher shear rate from a HT bolt, but nothing like the magnitude of the retained tensile load. Moving higher you hit the 10.9 and 12,8 ranged and then exotic bolt materials and bolt diameters with specifics around thread form heat treatment - we lay people would rarely see these, more a specific application and design related.

Apologies for the long winded response, you opened a door into a design past and this is what I know about.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (7th November 2017), MB (7th November 2017), Plasnart (7th November 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input guys. I saw John's "T" shaped ones but my bullbar has a flange/folded section of metal that runs vertically along the the bullbar mount (left of the mounting holes (yellow arrows) in the picture I posted) so I think that might get in the way. Not sure about grinding a bit out of that in terms of structural rigidity for the bar? I'll try post a photo when I get a chance..

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iron Man recovery points are the only ones I know of that will fit both sides on early GUs. The one on the passenger side comes with nuts that are welded to wires so they can be fitted from holes to the rear of the chassis and then engage with bolts that fit through one side of the left hand chassis only. No need to muck about with the end of the chassis rails. Talk to your nearest Iron Man rep.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.