Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil Container Split inside vehicle

I carry a supply of oil with me into the bush, and recently I noticed an oil smell but dismissed it as another Chev conversion stink. Today whilst unpacking the vehicle i found the source - a split 4L container of oil that had leaked into one of the side rear storage boxes - lost about 100ml I reckon, but what a mess, coated everything sitting on the bottom of the box. Seems the side walls could not take the load and the plastic simply folded, then split - brand new container of Valvoline . So, I have transferred the oil into a stiffer 2L bottle and a couple of 1L containers - first time this has happened, might be unlucky.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (5th November 2017), GQtdauto (5th November 2017), MB (6th November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ............Bugger!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (5th November 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, was lamenting about your external storage box! Bloody handy it would have been, anyway, sort of cleaned up, oil in smaller/stronger containers, so hope this fixes the issue.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (5th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to my son and he thought it was just the old car smell too , till he lifted the carpet in the boot one day .
    On the plus side he said it shouldn't rust over in a hurry .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (5th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my mrs use to work at coles.....when they spilt oil cooking,they used salt engine they used kitty litter......,,,she's mummbling...i think she also said hot soapy water
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (5th November 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling.
    When I bought my 4.2 GU Phil. Picked it up from Adelaide. The original owner, says, oh heres some oil I've got left over, I won't need it anymore. So I throw it in the back on the very last seats (which luckily I was going to remove as soon as I got home anyway)... along with some other spares he had for the car.
    Driving back to Melbourne, I get to horsham, pull into maccas to get a feed. Jump back into car to keep moving... I notice a distinct oily smell. Hmmm.
    Mind instantly begins to wonder.... Shit I bought a Lemon, oil pissing out of somewhere... etc etc ... Pop the bonnet, everything clean and dry. Look all around under the vehicle all good. Hmmm. Thought to my self, maybe it's just diesel residue from filling up back in Adelaide hills.
    As I keep driving the oil smell begins to increase... Shit better pull over. And then it dawned on me. Open the barn doors and there it was. Container turned on its side, spilling around half a liter onto the rear seat. Which once again, luckily, were coming out anyway!!!
    2005 TD42TI

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (6th November 2017), GQtdauto (6th November 2017), PeeBee (6th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same here. Oil bottle leaked in rear drawer. Laid newspaper for a couple of days, salt for a couple of days. But will never be the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (6th November 2017), PeeBee (6th November 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoying, simply annoying. I will look around for a heavier duty container, but for now splitting the size into one and two litres should suffice, but the lesson perhaps is that the loads are much higher than we think. I do have 2 additional steel boxes that mount under the floor between the side of the chassis rails and the body. These also house gearbox, brake, ps fluid and a range of 'never needed' spares, and funny enough have not had a single leak in 120,000klm, then this container split circa 300klms from new.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (6th November 2017), katwoman (6th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Annoying, simply annoying. I will look around for a heavier duty container, but for now splitting the size into one and two litres should suffice, but the lesson perhaps is that the loads are much higher than we think. I do have 2 additional steel boxes that mount under the floor between the side of the chassis rails and the body. These also house gearbox, brake, ps fluid and a range of 'never needed' spares, and funny enough have not had a single leak in 120,000klm, then this container split circa 300klms from new.
    FNQGU he had some ripper tubs,thats how ya stop leaks of any kind.
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (6th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the same thing happen to me 5 years ago, a whole 4L container was crushed by a piece of wood in the back on the fridge slide
    never smelt it - and the car was sitting for 2 weeks while it drained the bottle
    I am still getting oil dripping out the back doors - even after mopping up everything I could find

every 3 months pressure clean the towbar when I want to use it - usually covered in oil and dust by then

B@stard thing to happen
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

AB (6th November 2017), GQtdauto (6th November 2017), PeeBee (6th November 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast