Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ RD28 Blowing lots of White/Grey/ touch of blue Smoke

1995 GQ RD28 Blowing lots of White/Grey/ touch of blue Smoke,

My son bought it with compression coming out the radiator thinking just a head gasket. Later finding out cracked head so purchased A new head and VRS head gasket kit and spent the weekend changing it with his mate. Blocked the EGR at both ends as pipe to manifold was broken. Now after all that we started it and it's now Blowing lots of White/Grey/ touch of blue Smoke like someone has a smoke machine going. After a long while it lessens but not totally gone. Still a constant puff even when hot. So need help. It wasn't doing it when he brought it home before they put the new head on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Head gasket not sealing and or a rusted out gallery , was head torqued properly and was block cleaned properly ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

jsawrey (5th November 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the boys had a look at the turbo (little bit of oil when they took the pipe off) and the diesel pump (adjusted slightly to get it back to factory setting I think as whoever had it must of played with it) and injectors (re-bleed them)today. It has very little blow by off the hose on the tappet cover. My sons mate thinks it is not firing properly because of a small miss. Process of elimination. Gone to supercheap to buy a compression tester, different oil 20w 60 ( my son he put in multi fleet penrite 15w 40 I don't think it was meant for his car) and filter plus engine flush.

GQtdauto I was thinking that it was a faulty gasket but the boys said they followed the instructions on the kit for the head and the new head (new blank) put together by a engine builder using the old cam which was checked and cleaned up, injectors (we are thinking suspect because original head when was checked and found to have a crack the guy just threw everything in a box the fuel rails etc). block was check by me and was straight couldn't get a 2 thou feeler gauge under straight edge (no gap). So checking compression next is on the cards then a flush and thicker oil with another compression test to see if any change. If good then injectors and pump to check or replace plus try different diesel as the full tank was already in it and we don't know if contaminated as filter did have little bit of water in it when changed.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okies we have a update compression with the old oil 1. 390psi 2. 410psi 3. 400psi 4. 360psi 5. 410psi 6. 350psi. all within 70 psi tolerance. Changed oil to 20w50 penrite full mineral oil new filter. Put diesel purge into/through fuel filter and not blowing any smoke so far. Waiting for it to cool down to try a cold start tonight. My son and his mate so happy wanting beers now lol.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops 20w 60 for the oil

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still blowing smoke because diesel pump needs right adjustments. We retarded it (I think pulled back toward drivers side) and got the smoke barely coming out while cold start (engine sounded like it was pinging so didn't rev very hard), it did blow a fuse in engine control before that (my son advanced the pump other way passenger side it had heaps of thick white/blue smoke) and stop working which got us worried. So hopefully can get my sons mate back here to set the pump and get a day pass so they can take it for a run as no rego and organize a rwc. Maybe I'll have my shed back soon.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you guys had some fun and also sounds like you know what you're doing , glad it's working for you .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of research (google) and a fair few phone calls to mechanics for advice probably annoyed the crap out of them LOL. This is my first diesel I've worked on alot my involved then petrols. my sons mate taught himself through trial and error with them(told him to do a apprenticeship). Just never give up learning.
    I also told my son never ever buy a car if the guy already has it hot or supposedly charging the battery for you. And plays dumb about what it is like. Just conning you to pay more than it's worth. But on the bright side should be on the road in the next fortnight. All up so far around $4500 mark. Big lesson for a teenager.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it's happened to quite a few of us and our kids , the traps are many when buying second hand no matter how carefull you are , if you can get what your after cheap enough and factor in motor repairs you're in front .

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (4th November 2017), jsawrey (14th November 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    off to buy the gregories manual tomorrow at kawana supercheap(only place that has it and on special). Tried to download it but denied still, I think it was because I never got the confirmation email.
    We are not sure of the injector pumps timing. Pump is pushed towards the battery (drivers side) and sounds like it is pinging so we think must be wrong but blowing less smoke. Jut afraid if we rev it it will go bang.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast