Thread: Wreckers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wreckers

The foam on my driver's seat had collapsed & I spent much of the past 14 weeks driving with rolled up towels wedged under my butt in an attempt to be able to sit upright. This was one of the two seats I had obtained in a swap to 2 x buckets instead of the Dx's 1 bucket & 1 'bench'. Should've kept my original drivers seat but them's the breaks.

Once back on the eastern side of the country I (& friends on my behalf) started phoning around wreckers with a view to getting a replacement if I could locate one in good nick & at a reasonable price. Most enquiries were fruitless with several places telling me that drivers seats with good foam were rare, some even told me that the seats for utes were not interchangeable with wagons.

Eventually a wrecker in Newcastle told me they had one in good nick, but couldn't give a price immediately as it hadn't yet been removed from the vehicle & listed. I explained that I was keen to buy & would drive from where I was staying at Dungog to get it if they would phone me back with a price within the next couple of days, before we moved on. They agreed to do so. 48 hours later I hadn't heard from them so called again, only to be told they had sold the seat 2 hours earlier. I wasn't happy! They said they had sold it for $250 - I'd have paid that. Grrrrr.

As we got closer to home I phoned Central Motor Wreckers in my home town of Ballarat. "Yep we have several" they said. "One is in very good condition out of a vehicle with only 70,000kms on the clock. "$185 mate". They agreed to hold it for me until I was home 7 to 10 days later. I told them of my Newcastle experience & offered to pay a deposit over the phone which they refused saying"Don't worry about it mate, it'll be here for you when you get here". And so it was.

I would've bought a clapped out seat, to be re-upholstered whilst we are driving around Tassie (even though my back wouldn't have enjoyed another few months of rolled up towels) but was pretty happy with what I got.

So thumbs up to Central Motor Wreckers, Humffray St, Ballarat.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (31st October 2017), jack (31st October 2017), mudnut (31st October 2017), Plasnart (31st October 2017), VK2FMIA (1st November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes you wonder how some places stay in business

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If have brought a few patrol parts off central motor wreckers over the years. good to deal with well priced

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've bought there too. Pretty well run business, not like those dodgy Steptoe-type wreckers.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??