User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing for the CSR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday and welcome Charlie lots of great information on the forum and a place I want to travel in the next couple of years. If your on Facebook theres a group on there around about the history and travel conditions of the CSR https://www.facebook.com/groups/canningstockroute/
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (24th October 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it a couple of years ago in my Pajero, slow and steady is the only way. It's basically corrugations all day every day. We went through a few shocks including a couple of Brand New OME Sports and Dobinson Remote res. (We had one vehicle bail out at Well 33 when we ran out of spare shocks. Two of us also cracked the thin front crossmember that the ARB bar bolts to, ARB replaced this under warranty for us. This was a more a product of the Independent suspension in the Paj I think and the weight we were carrying. One other Pajero also cracked the mounts holding an LRA 81 litre tank in. This trip was what steered me towards the Patrol, it seems to deal with the corrugations much better than an Independently sprung vehicle.

Keep the weight down, Keep the speed down and do daily checks on bullbar bolts etc, there is a high chance of things shaking themselves loose, so give it the once over underneath before you leave and lock-tite everything you can. There are some great sections in amongst the corrugations and up around Breadon Hills is awesome scenery. Its not a difficult track 4wd wise, its just extremely corrugated and remote, but there are plenty of vehicles doing it now, and you will likely pass multiple groups per day depending on when you do it.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
    G'day Cuppa,
    Even a section of the Canning is a good thing to do.
    Your outfit looks quite impressive. We have a very similar setup, including Tvan.
    We won't be towing on the Canning. Back to tenting for a week or so. (That'll test the body.) Considering storing the van somewhere while we do the CSR then continue on around the west coast. Still planning.
    Cheers
    Please keep us informed about your plans as they progress.
    I also won't tow on the Canning, although next year maybe for a short distance, but thinking the Gary Highway/Talawana Tk might be the go & just cross over the Canning at Georgia Bore. Avoids dunes I believe
    For a full CSR trip working out where to leave the Tvan to return to is not an easy matter, especially if not wanting to rush.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Welcome and comments. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12