Thread: EBC Brake pads.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EBC Brake pads.

Some may recall that I fitted EBC Greenstuff 6000 series pads to the front brakes of my vehicle (together with RDA dimpled & slotted rotors) & was very pleased with the significant improvement they gave over the awful stock pads & discs.

As yet they don't need replacing, but after checking them yesterday morning I thought it might be a good idea to get a replacement set as when they do need replacing chances are we'll be a long way from any city or big towns, & the availability of them is limited. They are not a brand that many brake places keep in stock.

I emailed EBC Australia with the following:

Hi I currently have the 6000 series Greenstuff pads (together with RDA Dimpled & slotted rotors) fitted on the front axle of my 2006 Nissan Patrol 4.2 GU Cab Chassis. (Disc front/drums rear). Fitting them was a huge improvement over the OEM pads & rotors & necessary because we have a permanent camper body fitted (GVM upgrade) & also tow a Tvan - all up weight is close to 5 tonnes in full touring mode.

Although not yet ready for replacement we would like to purchase a spare set of front pads (Part no. DP61280 I believe) as we are now travelling in Australia full time & often in remote areas, so carrying a spare set for when the current ones wear out will help us to avoid ‘availability issues’ should we be ‘a long way from anywhere’ at the time.

We are however planning to be back at our home base near Ballarat, Vic for most of this coming November (2017) so if possible would like the pads sent to us there, prior to our departure again at the end of November.

Please could you let me know if you are able to supply them within that timeframe, & if so at what cost.

However, if you have any alternative to the 6000 series Greenstuff pads for my application that you believe would offer better braking & suit on/off road & desert travel please let me know. I guess I’m wondering if the 7000 series may be better to cope with the weight of my outfit, especially as I can only fit them to the front? If 7000 series pads are available for my car & offer better braking performance + greater lifespan please also let me know the cost.

Thank you

This was their prompt reply:

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

We have the front pads for your vehicle (part no DP61280 is correct) currently in stock in Victoria.
    They are $200 a set including overnight freight, and can ship to Ballarat no worries.

As for alternatives – the DP61280 is a good pad for your application. We don’t have much experience in the 7000 series so can’t be sure on how well it functions – but doesn’t matter anyway as EBC does not produce your pad in the 7000 compound!
    EBC do produce a Yellowstuff pad for your vehicle, part number is DP41280.
    The Yellowstuff pad was initially launched as a fast street/track use compound for performance vehicles, but has ended up being a very good pad for heavy 4x4 applications and towing. It’s a higher performance pad than the 6000 series you currently have fitted, should be longer lasting and produce less brake dust.
    EBC have some more product information on each compound on their website, which can be found here: https://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/

Personally my recommendation would be to go with the Yellowstuff pads, considering your plans for off road & towing.
    We can get them to your door at $210, including postage

So I reckon I'm going to give the 'Yellowstuff' pads a go. I hadn't previously heard of them being recommended for trucks etc, just fast street/track use. Just wondering if anyone else has tried them?

I know there are plenty of cheaper pads around that others are happy with (Eg. Bendix), but the improvement in braking that the current pads gave was sorely needed & essentially made the vehicle safe to drive,so I'm happy to stick with EBC. I also used them on a few motorcycles in the past & rated them highly in those applications.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

my third 256 (17th October 2017), PeeBee (16th October 2017), Touses (17th October 2017), trev zd30 (17th October 2017), Yeti's Beast (17th October 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess no-one here has tried the Yellowstuff truck pads yet then? S'pose I'll be the guinea pig, ordered some this morning. I'll feedback what they're like when they eventually get fitted but at this stage I have no idea how long the current Greenstuff 6000 ones will last. I pulled a wheel off a couple of days ago & saw plenty of 'meat' on one side of the rotor, couldn't see the other side without removing the caliper & thought it best to wait until I'm home to check rather than mucking around with it laying in the dirt at a camp ground.

Here's a direct link to the Yellowstuff Truck pads info for anyone interested. EBC claim a 15% stopping power improvement over OEM from their Greenstuff 6000 pads and 30% stopping power improvement over OEM (plus longer life, plus better heat range) for the Yellowstuff Truck pads.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellow...rt-brake-pads/

American feedback I found online seems very positive when fitted to the likes of the large Ford pick-ups etc.

Some discussion on an alternative Australian Patrol forum has someone maintaining that the Yellowstuff pads don't cope as well with mud & sand as the Greenstuff 6000 pads, but this is based upon the say so of a single ebay seller (whom for all we know had a heap of Greenstuff pads to get rid of at the time??). I spoke with a tech bloke at EBC Australia (RDA) this morning & he was quite dismissive of the sand & mud claim. Sooner or later I'll know & when I do I'll let Nissan Patrol.com.au members know........ unless anyone out there beats me to it.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th October 2017), MudRunnerTD (17th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. I'm a little confused though? Fast high performance race compound and long lasting are never written in the same sentence. I assume you have documented your kms out of the greens so will be interested in how the Yellows wear. That's nearly Double what I paid for Bendix extreme so they better be awesome cause t he Bendix are excellent.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    quote "Fast high performance race compound and long lasting are never written in the same sentence"unquote............especially when you add gu nissan aswell.....maybe thats why they last longer,,,it aint really a high performance vehicle either(no offence Cuppa-just thought it was funny)
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was a bit suss too about the fast high performance + long life.

Apparently the modern material used is a bit different to what used to be available. In the past high performance brake material eg. Ferodo green was totally ineffective until it got hot. Leaving for work on my old TriBsa in the mornings I had to ride with the front brake slightly applied for a mile or two if I wanted it to work when I got to town! Reports I've read about the Yellowstuff pads ay the pull up well when cold as well as hot. EBC claim they last as well as the Greenstuff pads, & I reckon they are worth a go after having to pull up on a few downhill sections where all te stopping power available was needed. Probably overkill for some, but with the combined touring weight of our Patrol +Tvan & discs only on the front I reckon that even if the Yellowstuff pads don't last as long they'll probably still be a reasonable investment.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for upgraded rear brake shoes to fit a GU cab chassis?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get home today to find a parcel was delivered containing a nice new set of EBC Brake Pads.
    Best part is I didn't order them, arrived just in time for my Flinders trip.

@Cuppa I'll let you know how they preform after my return
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th October 2017), Winnie (16th September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodonya Jack. Take care braking on those steep downhill sections, you might somersault the car!

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you brought a high performance pad it wouldnt be at its peak feathering brakes going down a hill.
    Thinking you might want to rethink your choice.
    A friend of mine has Kevlar pads on his extended Nissan Patrol they stink but they work as prescribed
    heavy braking,,,,just a thought
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there