Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood's trunk installation on GQ Y60 Patrol

Dear members,

My name is Sébastien, I’m from France (I apologize for my bad English, I'm not bilingual and I make mistakes sometimes…)

I request your help because I have the plan to travel in Australia in March 2018, buy a 4WD, build the Wood's trunk installation in order to sleep, cook and live during one year inside.

I have ideas about the plans, but I need to have the rear dimensions and I can’t find them on internet...

I would like to draw the 3D plans in order to know if my ideas are good or not…

I would like to buy a 4WD because it’s funnier than a Van. I know a 4WD is less spacious but doesn’t matter, fun is more important than comfort!

Anyway, after researches I’m nearly sure that the GQ / Y60 Nissan Patrol is the bigger 4WD and more robust than all the others in Australia. The second point for choosing this brand is because I read there are many spare parts in Australia. The third point is the price, indeed the price is really attractive too, because I have a small budget for buying my 4WD (maximum 6500AUD).

I would like to be sure about these points:

1) If someone can measure on his Patrol the size of all the rear dimensions like the height
    width, and depth to driver's seat (without the rear seats) it will give me a strong help…

2) Is my decision being good to choose this model?
    3) Do you know if there are others really good 4WD with a big place and could be correspond with my budget?
    4) How much kilometers or miles this model can realize?
    5) If someone know tutorials about people who did this improvement I will be enjoy to know this information too!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard Sebastien,
    Yes the GQ is a mighty 4x4 for sure with one of the strongest drive lines (gearbox/transfer case/differentials/axles) ever made in a 4x4 of that size.
    For big touring Australia I would personally look towards a diesel model although your budget may have to be more around $10,000 for this.
    If it is only yourself and or one other friend you could consider a utility (tray back) with a canvas type canopy that will give you so much more room than a wagon inside.
    Safe travels mate!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure it is a good idea to spend your good time on converting a Patrol into a motorhome.
    4WD's don't have lot of room inside to be able to successfully converted into a motorhome.
    Besides it won't be cheaper to convert a Patrol into a motorhome.
    A decent motorhome can be lot cheaper and more useful and save more of your time and any hassle.

I think you're better off buying a package like this or separate caravan & a 4WD(if you've already set your mind that it has
    to be a 4WD).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Terr....c100005.m1851

or a motorhome like these ones.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HI...kAAOSwlp1Z1ZL~

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-CAM...IAAOSwbMhZ02Io

or actually you can do with the best of both worlds by travelling on a 4WD & an off road capable small camper.

4WD will allow you travel into places a typical motorhome won't allow, and the off road camper will allow you to travel anywhere possible with the 4WD(for the most part) and you can eat and sleep in it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Off-road-...oAAOSwi69ZzuXl

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/off-road-...YAAOSw0cdZh3zT

You can start early by having your camper and Patrol bought beforehand by working with a friend in Australia.
    That way you don't have to spend lot of time trying to get a vehicle/camper package using your time here.

Plan to travel rather than building things here. That's my advice.

And buying used vehicles can be pretty tricky, so you need to make sure to accompany somebody who knows about vehicles and the tricky used vehicle selling business and the sellers so you don't end up getting screwed with a vehicle with too many mechanical issues &/or a one belong to a finance company. Months of time and money can end up wasted if you end up with a vehicle with too many dramas.

Also consider getting a good roadside assistance package from an insurance company as well.

And yeah, nothing's better than Nissan Patrol to ravel road and off road in Australia.
    There is a very good reason why the Patrol is the most popular vehicle here.

Do you still want the dimensions of the GQ Patrol interior?
    Last edited by dom14; 10th October 2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: As usual, grammar errors. :)
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (10th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw an old 55 land cruiser in the blue mountains which was converted into a tourer with table, chairs, sink & cupboards in the back. Table droped down into a bed, it was very minimal & functional. All home built was awsome, wish i got some pictures of the inside. Think if you're willing to keep it simple and minimize all the junk you have it can work. This was a couple that used it to tour all over oz, they were nice enough to give us a lift back after our bush walk didn't quite end in a round trip . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

dom14 (10th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1991_Y60_LWB_All in japaness.jpg

in Japanese, but you can read the numbers...........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

dom14 (10th October 2017), MudRunnerTD (10th October 2017), PeeBee (10th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. Have you considered a roof top tent. Something simple like this, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-hard+sh...t/k0?sort=rank.

Your choice of a GQ is a good one as they're old enough to be cheap, but new enough to be reliable.

There are a few choices of engine : TD42 diesel. Considered the best engine available, but very expensive to obtain.

RD28 diesel. Cheaper, but not as powerful as the TD42. It is a reliable unit, but there are a few things that you must check and torque up. Unless it has been done recently, I advise that you change out the timing belt and water pump before beginning your trip.

TB42 Petrol which is also very reliable, but not very economical to run.

RB30 Petrol. Cheaper to run and repair. It has a good rev range but lacks low down torque. It also uses a timing belt.

Which ever unit you choose, because there are many dirt roads in Australia, I recommend fitting a snorkel as it drastically reduces the amount of dust taken into the air filter.

Good luck with your choice of vehicle, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your trip.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (15th October 2017), dom14 (10th October 2017), MudRunnerTD (10th October 2017), Rossco (10th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Saw an old 55 land cruiser in the blue mountains which was converted into a tourer with table, chairs, sink & cupboards in the back. Table droped down into a bed, it was very minimal & functional. All home built was awsome, wish i got some pictures of the inside. Think if you're willing to keep it simple and minimize all the junk you have it can work. This was a couple that used it to tour all over oz, they were nice enough to give us a lift back after our bush walk didn't quite end in a round trip . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Yep, no argument it can be done with a careful and a clever design. I just thought it is more a project for a local tourer than a foreigner. It would take a considerable amount of time and money for somebody who's not familiar with living in Australia.
    I've seen new migrants spending money on things that they either don't need to or can do with very little money. Some of the things can only be learnt by living here for few years. I generally prefer the choice of an off road camper. Far less headaches I reckon.
    OP should go ahead with his project if it means a lot to him as much as travelling around Australia. No argument that such projects are fun when we have time and money for it.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. Have you considered a roof top tent. Something simple like this, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-hard+sh...t/k0?sort=rank.
    That's pretty cool. I've never seen a one before. There are so many ways to go about camping these days.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia - Rainforests/Outback Deserts/Mountains/Beaches = Happy Campfires whenever legally/seasonally possible.
    'Covered Utes' (tray backs) can carry it all and keep spiders out of your driving cabin. Once through airport clearance, pick up your vehicle and go straight to a hardware store called 'Bunnings' to buy plastic boxes to keep all the dust and critters out of your bedding/camping gear :-)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (15th October 2017), dom14 (12th October 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Dear members,

Firstly, I’m really happy to read all your answers, I’m really impressed by your help and your implication for my project!

I will try to reply about all your advices if I understood well. (And sorry again about my English, I don’t know if I wrote well)

For “MB”:
    Thank you to confirmed me (as well as the others) that the GQ is a good choice, I’m more reassured now! Your idea to buy a utility (tray back) with a canvas type canopy could be a good solution indeed, I had not thought of this Idea, I will see the price for this solution. Could you give me the name of good brands? I will compare prices.

For “dom14”:
    Thank you about all your advices! It’s very rewarding. After few research, I will change a bit my plan and buy a roof tent instead of sleeping inside the car. This solution will give me more space to make a better inside organization.

The reason to thinks about realize my own “4wd motorhome” is because until now I had not seen any good inside organization. And if I will live during one year with my car, I want to be sure that my solution is the best for my daily use. I’m conscious it could be difficult sometimes, but I’m really manual, and good with 3d and 2d plans, I will prepare all the layout.
    Moreover, the idea is to work for free in a farm for 2 or 3 months (I ever had an experience in a farm 1 year ago during 3 months in England) and working during the half of the day for the farm and the rest of the day with my 4wd. The Idea is to use all the tools they have to help me in my project. I will help them and they will help me, I think it could be a great deal for them and me too (if you know good address near Melbourne or near a big city, please let me know)

I don’t want to buy a motorhome or a caravan package because I want to be 100% freedom, go and sleep everywhere I want on the west coast and around the country (with the respect of the local rules and throw the garbage in a good place of course)

The Idea to bought a 4wd beforehand could be good, but I will prefer to see the quality of the care before to buy something and I know no one in Australia. how can I trust someone I don't know?
    And yes, buying used vehicles could be dangerous, I will obtain lot of information about parts I need to check before to buy it. I have a little experience in mechanical, but not at all in 4wd. If you have good advices about verifications, please let me know

And yes, I still have the idea to get the dimensions of the GQ!

For Rossco:

That why I want to prepare plans, to be sure I will choose the best solution! All is possible with tools and imaginations

Bigcol
    Thank you a lot! That exactly what I needed! I have difficulty to read numbers but it's a great help! Could you give me the website where you found this picture? And if someone have another document it will be perfect! Meanwhile I will try to use this picture!

Mudnut
    Thank you about engine information, it’s very rewarding now I know differences thank you!

Anyway, when I will start to draw plans, I will share them here, and if you have others ideas I will be really happy to read them!

Thank you a lot again for all your advices and replies, it’s wonderful to know people are really friendly even at 15 000 km!

All the help could be nice with this big project!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaurage For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (15th October 2017), dom14 (15th October 2017), GQtdauto (15th October 2017), MB (15th October 2017), mudnut (15th October 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast