Thread: Wood's trunk installation on GQ Y60 Patrol

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurage View Post
    Thank you about all your advices! It’s very rewarding. After few research, I will change a bit my plan and buy a roof tent instead of sleeping inside the car. This solution will give me more space to make a better inside organization.

The reason to thinks about realize my own “4wd motorhome” is because until now I had not seen any good inside organization. And if I will live during one year with my car, I want to be sure that my solution is the best for my daily use. I’m conscious it could be difficult sometimes, but I’m really manual, and good with 3d and 2d plans, I will prepare all the layout.
    Moreover, the idea is to work for free in a farm for 2 or 3 months (I ever had an experience in a farm 1 year ago during 3 months in England) and working during the half of the day for the farm and the rest of the day with my 4wd. The Idea is to use all the tools they have to help me in my project. I will help them and they will help me, I think it could be a great deal for them and me too (if you know good address near Melbourne or near a big city, please let me know)

I don’t want to buy a motorhome or a caravan package because I want to be 100% freedom, go and sleep everywhere I want on the west coast and around the country (with the respect of the local rules and throw the garbage in a good place of course)

The Idea to bought a 4wd beforehand could be good, but I will prefer to see the quality of the care before to buy something and I know no one in Australia. how can I trust someone I don't know?
    And yes, buying used vehicles could be dangerous, I will obtain lot of information about parts I need to check before to buy it. I have a little experience in mechanical, but not at all in 4wd. If you have good advices about verifications, please let me know

And yes, I still have the idea to get the dimensions of the GQ!
    If you're set with the idea of converting a GQ Patrol into a motorhome you have the information you need now.
    I would suggest you to acquire an off road capable camper trailer as above to carry your gear, etc because you may find the
    the GQ rear is fairly limiting for your motorhome touring needs. Roof top tent as pointed out by @mudnut is also a good idea. Leaving most of the living space activities on the rooftop tent leaves enough room in the back of the vehicle to carry some necessary gear for 4WD'ing.

As for your project of converting the GQ in a farm in your spare time using their tools, I would like to advise you that you may not have all the tools and necessary bits and pieces hanging on the tool board for quick access. You may end up having to purchase tools as well as not having quick access to raw material, depending on where the farm is. It is generally not my idea of touring a country to include building projects as yours, but we are all different individuals with different skill sets and different needs. What takes me months to plan and build may be two weeks for you.

Where ever is the farm you're planning to stay, make sure there is a hardware store nearby(like Bunnings,www.bunnings.com.au or Mitre10 www.mitre10.com.au) so you can buy all the raw material and necessary tools quickly.
    Last edited by dom14; 15th October 2017 at 02:15 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach