OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Help. Rear tailshaft - which way round?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help. Rear tailshaft - which way round?

At a mates place with a hoist. Have discovered that the rear tailshaft on my leaf sprung GU ute is fitted with the spline (skinnier section of tailshaft) to the rear of the vehicle. The 'fatter' part of the tailshaft at the front, where it runs over the top of a crossmember. It sits above the cross member but a light (very light) mark around the circumference of the shaft suggests that at some point it has touched the cross member. Looking at the manuals is confusing, it seems that some models may have had the tailshaft fitted this way round, & some not.

Can anyone tell me which way round the shaft should be on my vehicle and whether there would be any downside/issue with turning it around to increase clearance between shaft & crossmember. Would really appreciate replies tonight as it would be much easier to remove the shaft before we leave.

2006 GU leaf sprung cab chassis

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've read that blokes with big lifts sometimes swap them for extra clearance. Dunno if that makes ingress of moisture into the spline a problem though. I suppose if the seal is good then no problem. Also dunno if affects the shaft balance or not.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...rection-(rear)
    Last edited by mudnut; 8th October 2017 at 09:06 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah as above, factory is skinny @ diff end, but is common to turn it round so there's more clearance at the cross member. I'd put it that way, mines been like that with no dramas for ages. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is common practice to always have the join facing downhill. So if any moisture can get it it can drain out. If its the other way around moisture can get in but cant escape so the tube can fill up with moisture and dirt.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previous owner of my ute appears to have given the cross member there a light sledgehammer knock exactly where the tailshaft passes by there Cuppa.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, have decided to leave 'as is' for now as the hoist is unavailable until the OKA can be removed from it (needs to complete the fitting of a new Allison gearbox) so work would have to be done on sloping ground.... not ideal. I'll check it out again when we get back to Ballarat in a few weeks. The *very* light ring mark on the tailshaft probably occurred when the shaft was disconnected when the suspension/GVM upgrade was fitted.

Going up to Barrington Tops today. May camp up there or continue across to Scone, depending upon the weather.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)