Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Cylinder Head Removal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    did you do one test with the throttle wide open and the other closed?. tester had a bad day ( that time of the month?) liquid in the cylinders. doesn't look like a lot of carbon...
    Yeah mate, but it was running rich(on petrol) and building up soot in no time when I was testing it.
    I decided it was due to stuffed up carby, but now I think otherwise.

I did the test with WOT, but not sure what you meant by "the other"!!!

Thanx

P.S. Ok, my bad. I got it. You meant one test with WOT & other with throttle closed.
    I didn't do a compression test with throttle closed at all!
    What is the reason for that?
    Since I always warmed up the engine before compression test, chokes flaps are fully opened while I was testing the compression.

Only thing I can think of that made a difference is that I replaced the stock starter motor with a Skyline one. The Skyline starter had more grunt for some reason and always turned faster. Not sure whether that affects the compression reading?!! The number of cranks were kept the same. I allowed the piston to go through all four strokes and was watching the compression jump with each stroke.
    Last edited by dom14; 8th October 2017 at 09:21 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    only thought re the high compression is was one a hot reading vs cold? the more important qustion is why did the gasket fail in hte first place, the way the failed fire ring is pushed back looks a little like detonation, how much timing are you running? or are the mixtures lean
    Thanx for the reply mate.

In petrol the mixture was super rich and I was able to adjust it intermittently, but went back to be rich again, so I decided it was due to carby quirks & gave up until I get hold of a good carby that I know is good for sure. Running fine with LPG and AFR gauge was showing the mixture(15 ish), which was where I wanted LPG mixture.

I warmed up the engine before doing the compression test(always). So, I reckon it must be something else.
    I'm pretty sure the compression tester is accurate enough 'cos it shows the compression of the bike engine, mower, etc etc the same as it showed last year.

Yeah, there was detonation going on previously while I had the spare dizzy on it(which had stuffed vacuum advance diaphragm that I only detected much later). I ran the spare dizzy for months. So I believe there was some detonation and damage.
    The pushed back fire ring(cylinder 6) is the one with water jacket leaking into the cylinder. The one with the fire ring severed is the cylinder 1.

I ran 15 BTDC 'cos it was on LPG most of the time. Mixture was rich(with petrol) definitely, and I couldn't fix it and didn't run on petrol for that reason(other than occasional few minutes to see if I can fix it by fiddling with carby mixture screw(using the AFR gauge).

No doubt loose head bolts is one of the reasons for the head gasket failure.
    I reckon these el cheapo Burson aftermarket gaskets(paid $60 for it) need some TLC
    months after installation. Probably needed retorquing months after installation.
    Obviously occasional detonation didn't help.
    Last edited by dom14; 8th October 2017 at 09:14 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry Dom not my strong suit mate. George Alitis007 would be your guy
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (9th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate over my head.

Maybe a conversion, a couple more cylinders???

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

dom14 (9th October 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12