Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch wont stop freespooling

Hey all,

Got a question about winch freespooling. Everything I can find is about winches that won't freespool.

My problem is that it won't not freespool, even when the gear lever is locked in you can still just pull the rope out, had to take the winch off incase I ended up running on the end of it at 110kph! I've pulled it apart and had a look, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the nylon clutch? plates are worn...

Anyone got any ideas what I should look at?

Cheers guys.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What brand of winch? Check that the lever is engaging properly.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nylon disks are the brake. These de=energise to allow the motor to turn and in turn hold the load when you stop winching. The lever typically engages a sliding spool across a gear to lock the drum to the gearbox, which is driven by the motor. I am not familiar with a brake using 'plastic discs'. Warn winches i have owned has a gritty cone setup that would fail if oil or grease got into its surfaces, or the brake could be a cylindrical spring drum style.

1) if the drum can be rotated by i would look at the knob handle and make nothing has broken off it - sounds to me like the spool is not engaging, hence why the drum is in free spool.

2) if the brake was severely worn you would be able to pull the cable out, but you would be working against the winch gearbox, assuming the spool has engages properly. It pretty easy to see and feel the difference as you should not be able to pull the cable out if the slide 'dog' has engaged. I am assuming this is a low mount which?

Thats about the limit of what i know about these winches. As mudnut asked, what brand is it and is it worth a phone call to the distributor?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, got it sorted. Not sure how, but pulled it apart again, paid a lot of attention to the lever and put her back together and works like a charm.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to michaelgreeny For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th October 2017), MudRunnerTD (23rd April 2018), PeeBee (8th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    2) if the brake was severely worn you would be able to pull the cable out, but you would be working against the winch gearbox, assuming the spool has engages properly. It pretty easy to see and feel that difference as you should not be able to pull the cable out if the slide 'dog' has engaged.
    Got it! Thanks for the clarification!
    Last edited by collin; 24th April 2018 at 03:53 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to collin For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (23rd April 2018)