Thread: OIL Questions - GU8 CRD Auto 3.0L

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OIL Questions - GU8 CRD Auto 3.0L

OK a couple of questions for the knowledgeable members.

I've just had a service done and to me the oil seems a bit high on the dip stick, they assure me they only put in 8.2l which matches what the book says.

Can anyone post me a quick pic of how high the oil is on their dip stick please?
    (Sorry I'm laid up with a crook back so can't take a picture myself at the moment)

While I'm on oils

Rear Diff (LSD) - how much oil should this hold? Book says Service Refill Capacity: 2.1-4.7 Litres, that's a pretty big variance.
    Also what oil do you recommend?

Front Diff - Service Refill Capacity: 5.4 Litres.
    Again what oil do you recommend?

Transfer Case - Service Refill Capacity: 1.9 Litres
    And again what oil do you recommend?

Cheers
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ideas anyone?
    Cheers
    Jack

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OIL Questions - GU8 CRD Auto 3.0L

How much higher on dipstick mate, 2mm, 5mm, 10, 20...

Going through my turbo leaking issues showed me a huge variable in oil levels on dipstick due to angle, temp, yes ambient temp was a huge difference if your paranoid along with other factors or did they drain it all properly with warm oil, drain time, old oil filters holding more or less before removal, etc.

Pending your reply on how much higher of course...

I was seeing 3-4mm difference pending time of day checking car in same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

jack (5th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andy,

From memory I'd say its sits about 20mm above the top of the cutout, just on top of the twist (see image). Car is dead level in garage and engine was stone cold for days when checked.
    This is a stock pic as I can't even lift the bonnet let alone reach the dipstick at the moment.

I trust the mechanic as he came well recommended and is a friend of my son in law. I found the following on another site so will need to check it again when it's been for a run and heated up to operating temp, that may show some different results. At this stage that's not going to happen before late next week at the earliest as the son in law is working near Daly Waters at the moment, may need to drop the oil and remeasure.

Yeap I'm paranoid.

"I had the same trouble and it nearly drove me mad until I checked it 2 minutes after turning it off after the engine had been brought to running temperature which I found took at least 30 minutes even though the temperature gauge seems to get to running temp in 5-10 minutes. You will find that the manual states to check a few minutes after getting it to operating temperature (this takes a fair while). I know most engines can be checked the next morning when cold, but the ZD30 needs to be checked 2 mins after it is really warmed up. I made the mistake of giving it a 15-20 minute run and then checked it and ended up removing oil as you did because I too thought it was overfull only to find the level low later when I checked it properly. But be careful and check it 2 minutes after it is really warmed up (preferably after a long trip) and you will find the level correct. If you check it at 5 minutes you will find the level creeping higher and higher up the dipstick so make sure you check it at 2 mins. Your will find the level high up the dipstick around the twisted section when left and checked cold the next morning."

Dipstick.jpg
    Cheers
    Jack

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fark 20mm above is tooooo much.
    8.2 I'm pretty sure is dry engine, as we all know you dont get 100% out each service..
    And who ever goes off quantity over looking at the dipstick..
    Is a bloody dip stick.

However..
    The dipstick always gets splash up it while running. So always pull it, wipe it, and check it..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK was able to take it back to the mechanic today, they took out a bit over 470ml and it's now sitting just above the high mark on the dip stick. That amount of extra oil wouldn't have caused any issues at all. Maybe my 20mm was a bit of an over estimate.

They assure me that they always go by recommended quantity as far as engine oil goes against what is showing on the dip stick, sumps don't vary. I also went into Nissan to book in the airbag recall and I asked their service manager how they measure engine oil. Same answer, they put in a measured 8.2l if the oil filter is changed. When I got my services done there they always gave me a 5l container with the remainder of the oil in it, I've got two of them in the shed and had a look, both had about 1.8l in them.

Like I said I'm paranoid but happy with the outcome.
    Cheers
    Jack

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Jack,
    FWIW, We always put in 8.2l and changed the filter every time.
    The oil level on the stick was always between the cut outs... mostly on the higher side .
    20mm over the top seems very high mate, you might be looking t a new donk or an Isuzu soon....hahahah. Joking if course

................on the road

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

jack (7th October 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    OK a couple of questions for the knowledgeable members.

I've just had a service done and to me the oil seems a bit high on the dip stick, they assure me they only put in 8.2l which matches what the book says.

Can anyone post me a quick pic of how high the oil is on their dip stick please?
    (Sorry I'm laid up with a crook back so can't take a picture myself at the moment)
    Hey Jack.

My bet is, they didn't drain it long enough, simply poured in 8.2 and Bob's your cousins' friends' brother in law. When dumping motor oil, I warm the motor up big time and then let it all run out and sometimes come back 3-4 horus later. You'd be surprised how much more runs out if you just let it, instead of the usual 15-20 minutes that most mechanics do.
    And then I don't just pour the required amout. If it takes 8.2 for example, I pour in 7L. And then run the motor, let it drain into sump, and re-check and then play the top-up game from there.
    [/QUOTE]

While I'm on oils

Rear Diff (LSD) - how much oil should this hold? Book says Service Refill Capacity: 2.1-4.7 Litres, that's a pretty big variance.
    Also what oil do you recommend?
    I use Castrol Axle Limited Slip 85W-140. I cant remember how much I use, I just poured in until it was level with bottom of fill hole. This one takes forever to pump in, as its very thick. PITA this one.

Front Diff - Service Refill Capacity: 5.4 Litres.
    Again what oil do you recommend?
    For the front diff I dump in AXLE EPX 80W-90. I use Castrol again. It's fine if you have a locker, like I do.

Transfer Case - Service Refill Capacity: 1.9 Litres
    And again what oil do you recommend?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

For the Transfer and gearbox I use CASTROL MANUAL VMX-M 75W-85. I use it in the transfer as well since I've ripped out the Auto function at the hubs.
    Next service I will use this oil for the front diff as well. So then I've got one oil for 3 jobs. Makes it easier. It suits the job just fine.
    2005 TD42TI

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

jack (7th October 2017), Maxhead (7th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I think my 20mm might have been an over estimate.

I've got one more service to go before it's out of warranty then will start doing them myself, at least I'll know it's done right first time.

Isuzu you say Krisso, I was thinking more Hilux, Ranger or Colorado. Much better choice

Thanks for the recommended oils Eric.
    Cheers
    Jack

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Hodge (7th October 2017), Maxhead (7th October 2017)