Apologies if this has been covered, searched, but couldn't quite find the info i'm looking for.

I have a 2002 ZD30 manual patrol with 300k on the clock. Only had it a few months, and have had to replace leaking intercooler, and dodgy MAF sensor. Has part NADS installation, having a dawes valve, and catch can, but nothing else. As far as I am aware, its driving fine, no limp mode etc... getting around 12l/100km with normal around town driving, better with highway driving.

This weekend we went on our first camping trip to Ballarat from melbourne. I was a little disappointed how much more sluggish the wagon felt when towing my camper trailer, which was probably about 1500kg all loaded up. I don't have much experience of towing (with small vehicles anyway), so what should it feel like acceleration wise? I was able to keep up 100km/h on the slow long inclines on the M8, but had to shift down to 4th gear on some occasions.

I'm wondering if my expectations of effortless towing are unrealistic. I felt that given the maximum tow rating of the vehicle being 3200kg, that my camper should be a breeze!

Once moving, and on the flat, I wouldn't have known the trailer was there easily cruised at 110km/h (a definite improvement over my previous car - Chrysler voyager)

Any opinions on how it should feel to tow such a load?

Thanks.

carntrailer.jpg