OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing camper trailer with zd30 patrol.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing camper trailer with zd30 patrol.

Apologies if this has been covered, searched, but couldn't quite find the info i'm looking for.

I have a 2002 ZD30 manual patrol with 300k on the clock. Only had it a few months, and have had to replace leaking intercooler, and dodgy MAF sensor. Has part NADS installation, having a dawes valve, and catch can, but nothing else. As far as I am aware, its driving fine, no limp mode etc... getting around 12l/100km with normal around town driving, better with highway driving.

This weekend we went on our first camping trip to Ballarat from melbourne. I was a little disappointed how much more sluggish the wagon felt when towing my camper trailer, which was probably about 1500kg all loaded up. I don't have much experience of towing (with small vehicles anyway), so what should it feel like acceleration wise? I was able to keep up 100km/h on the slow long inclines on the M8, but had to shift down to 4th gear on some occasions.

I'm wondering if my expectations of effortless towing are unrealistic. I felt that given the maximum tow rating of the vehicle being 3200kg, that my camper should be a breeze!

Once moving, and on the flat, I wouldn't have known the trailer was there easily cruised at 110km/h (a definite improvement over my previous car - Chrysler voyager)

Any opinions on how it should feel to tow such a load?

Thanks.

carntrailer.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy
    I too have recently purchased a camper and on our trip I was a bit disappointed at how much the camper slowed down the car. I could sit on 100 -110 easily and when there was enough space could even overtake slow caravaners. Our fuel economy was around 15. We were doing 530k out of 80 litre of fuel. It sounds like our vans weigh similar amounts too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't expect too much out of the zd30 when towing.
    Personally I wouldn't tow in 5th on too many occasions, keep it in 4th and stay in the rev range which feels sweet. Mine was around 2500rpm (crd model)

2.75 or 3 inch exhaust will improve towing a fraction especially down low torque.

It's not a rocket but will slowly get you there ...lol

................on the road

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

mudski (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing

Towing with the z30 don't be in a hurry to get there mine goes pretty good at 96/7 you have to take them easy or you'll over heat on the long up hill grades and possibly crack the head or worse blow your motor - I did and wasn't even towing at the time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

mudski (3rd October 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As the others have said. Dont be in a hurry. Its a ZD30. 3ltr, 4 cylinder diesel. Already lugging around 3T on its back, without a load and towing. Its only a little motor. My old 3ltr was the same, but once i got it at 100 it would pretty much stay there unless i hit a decent hill.
    Don't expect too much out it the old girl bud. If you want effortless towing, dont tow with a ZD30. But they still do pretty good I reckon.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th October 2017), GU406 (6th October 2017), Softy (7th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed that ours same year but an auto towed that 2.7 plus tonne van round oz three times , yeah it was slow but we weren't in a hurry and yeah didn't like steep hills but as has been mentioned find the sweet spot in revs and drop back a gear .
    Ours used less fuel at around 2800-2900 and ran cooler but that was with OD turned off .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just took our GU Patrol bush with a fully loaded camper trailer on the back. Handled really well once you got the revs up a bit otherwise it was a bit sluggish. Otherwise towed the trailer through sand and crawled over some rough terrain with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevrana For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (5th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 Times in 3,112 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    I'm amazed that ours same year but an auto towed that 2.7 plus tonne van round oz three times , yeah it was slow but we weren't in a hurry and yeah didn't like steep hills but as has been mentioned find the sweet spot in revs and drop back a gear .
    Ours used less fuel at around 2800-2900 and ran cooler but that was with OD turned off .
    Not to out a dampener on it but your realize the auto is capped towing at 2.5t??

Not sure if the crd is better but I find mine fine..
    Car was 3.5T and camper 1.4T.
    Sure I missed the down low on hill starts but once above 1200rpm it pulls fine..
    I wasn't in a hurry though (who would be in this outback country) and sat on 90kmh most the time but hills etc didn't seem to bother it.
    Adelaide hills I was in 4th but they are long and steep..

If your wanting more power east coat performance can do mail order remaps on Di's.
    They have done a lot of work on different parameters to suit each mod.
    Of course on dyno is best to get the best but for $700 and a week down time it's imo a brilliant investment..

Worth a think about anyway if your towing a lot..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how's your 3.5ton gvm going kallen

15. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Not to out a dampener on it but your realize the auto is capped towing at 2.5t??

Not sure if the crd is better but I find mine fine..
    Car was 3.5T and camper 1.4T.
    Sure I missed the down low on hill starts but once above 1200rpm it pulls fine..
    I wasn't in a hurry though (who would be in this outback country) and sat on 90kmh most the time but hills etc didn't seem to bother it.
    Adelaide hills I was in 4th but they are long and steep..

If your wanting more power east coat performance can do mail order remaps on Di's.
    They have done a lot of work on different parameters to suit each mod.
    Of course on dyno is best to get the best but for $700 and a week down time it's imo a brilliant investment..

Worth a think about anyway if your towing a lot..
    didn't you buy a CRD
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast