Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315 vs 265

Hi Guys n Gals
    As the title says, what's the difference between a 315/75/16 and a 265/75/16 .
    ie difference in odometer,diameter ,etc
    I know that it looks tough n all but I would like some better fuel economy and I think a smaller tyre will give me that .

Craig

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,235 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day bloke, here's hoping this calculator found works mate.
    https://tiresize.com/converter/
    Your honest query has so many variables, big/small donk crank size etc....

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,259 Times in 6,425 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Around town the smaller 265 or a 31 in the old scale would be better on the juice, whereas the 315 or a 35, would be better if your doing a heap of highway driving. But as MB has said, a lot of variables come into play.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I used to run 35's I would use more fuel esp when towing. I had a set of 35 (Hankook) for tracks and a set of 33 (Bridgy) for towing/long haul touring but admit there are also other factors than just the tyre size.

Not sure how much difference there would be between 31 to 33 fuel useage but swapping from 35 to 33 was noticeable and if I went away I had to choose one or the other for the trip anyway.

What one should technically do if for whatever reason it is required to run larger tyres is change the diff ratio to return the vehicle to the same effective drive ratio.
    The manuf will usually have the sorted out the most efficient drive ratio and changing tyre size either way will mean you give up something.
    Rule of thumb for Patrols is one diff ratio for every two inches IE 31 to 33 tyres then 4.1 to 4.3 diffs or whatever (which is why those 4.6 diffs are so popular with the 35 inch tyre brigade)

Soooo...
    If you are running taller tyres but haven't changed diff ratio and want your fuel economy back then that is what I would do otherwise, yes, smaller tyres will give you better fuel assuming the diffs are factory
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I think I should start looking around for some new tyres ,I'm thinking of an A/T instead of muddies .
    I have a friend who has a set of General Grabbers in an A/T on his Pajero ,any comments on these ?
    Don't want to spend stupid amounts but not buy crap either,any suggestions ??

Craig