Thread: Boost for silvertop TD42

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boost for silvertop TD42

Gday guys. So next year at xmas the old maverick is going in for an L98 conversion but from now till then im still going to turbo the TD. Gonna run a front mount safari intercooler kit and probably a garrett turbo just to have some fun in the old diesel before crossing to the dark side.

The 93 silver top has got 330k on the clock runs sweet and doesnt get hot. Holds 110 on the highway and can even accelerate up small hills in 5th (and yes I have double check that it is actually a TD 😂&#128514

Had the compression done today prior to the turbo going on in a few weeks and the results came back as follows.

Cyl 1, 2 and 3 - 410psi
    Cyl 4 - 390 psi
    Cyl 5 and 6 - 400psi

Im hoping to run somewhere between 15-20psi boost but obviously dont want to trash a good motor so was wondering if you blokes reckon thats a safe tune for the old girl despite being in pretty good nic?

My mechanic went over it with a fine tooth combe and reckons its no dramas and he has never done me wrong but thought I would get a second opinion.

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I got a TD42 Safari in NZ with 275000, still young on the clock. Mine has been wound out to boost 15lb. Ill sit at 1800 at 100km and in overdrive (im auto) dont have to down shift on most light grades. Sitting around 5-10lb most of the day. But opening it up to 15 is no worries, so long as youve got a stong clutch or a healthy auto. Anything more than this and I'd be considering pulling the head and looking at valve backlash and rings and maybe looking at bearings and rods. With those figures you shouldn't be expecting any issues

Over here I've seen TDs running 25lb on minor adjustments and an aftermarket bosch pump.
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

Thanks
    Thanked 20,762 Times in 8,580 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Obviously nothing is guaranteed but your compression is spot on and I wouldn't hesitate at all in doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (30th September 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats pretty much what my mechanic said. Whats a good turbo to run at that boost that works for the ol TD? At the moment im thinking ufi 18G or one of the garretts? A bloke I know runs a kinugawa (think thats the spelling) in his track skyline which spends its life at the limiter and he reckons it has performed flawlessly for 900 shmackos it's definitely tempting. Just sus on cheap gear when it comes to turbos and things in the engine bay.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your safari a factory turbo or aftermarket? Was gonna look at doing rear main and the big end bearings. Guess I was listen to the bloke doing the work. He is a pretty honest guy who has done work on all my 4x4s. He let's me get in on the tools so if required we might have a look inside and check everything out