Thread: Diff Lockers for GU

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diff Lockers for GU

I am looking for advice regarding whether to add diff lockers to my 2009 GU. I use the car for road use and off road e.g. crossed the Simpson, high country Victoria.
    Currently fitted with 2" Ironman springs and shocks, 285/70R17 Micky Thompson A/Ts, pair of drawers in the rear, standard bullbar & winch.
    Last edited by scb; 29th September 2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Additional info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Suggest you put an intro in the introductions section mate, then people will know what you want to do with your vehicle. In answer to your question, it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are using it for touring and not off road its a waste of mony. If you are going off road, many other things may be needed befor lockers. In other words not much point in lockers if you have stock highway tyres for instance. In short what are you starting off with and what do you want to do with it.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

scb (29th September 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate. I've owend a 2009 CRD Patrol and now have a 2005 GU4 4.2
    I've had front ARB lockers fitted to both of those patrols. And cannot recommend them enough. It changes the way you drive the car. Best example is up steeper hills instead of using more right foot you simply crawl up nice sand steady instead of bouncing up and down throwing the car all over the place.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, a diff locker is last on the list ... I would like one, but I rarely get stuck without it, and we have travelled all over the country in ours, and out of the last few mods I have yet to install, reduction gears might even place slightly higher.

For most of the driving that we generally do, then a good compressor, using the correct tyre pressures, a good suspension lift, winch and protection in the form of bar work, will get you a long way without too many problems.

Now, if you are definitely out to hit the hardest tracks possible, get the lockers sooner rather than later
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed front lockers and a winch just after the suspension. The wife and I travel alone most of the time and want to be as able as possible to get 'unstuck'.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont think I've ever used my air locker at all in the high country. But have used it on many occasions in the hills nearby at Tallarook. A locker isn't necessary. But is handy. For instance, I did a particular hill climb pre locker, the hill was rocky, rutted, and steep with steps, I had to do this section of the hill pretty much full noise in low 2nd. I needed the momentum just to get up. all I thought of was what was going to break. I did the same hill with the front locker engaged. I did it in low 1st and crawled up. I could have held a cup of tea with one hand and driven up without spilling it.
    They do help, a lot. No doubt. But are a very costly add on.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A locker will allow you got bogged further up a track than all your mates,
    a winch with some Dyneema will allow you to travel solo and be able to
    do self recoveries.
    Does that guy ??? still make 60% or whatever they were reduction gears still?????
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got stuck ONCE on the Simpson, and would have gladly paid the price of front diff lock. However a winch and anchor point does just as well, just need somewhere to attach the winch rope such as another vehicle!!!
    If you plan a lot of remote, solo travel I would do it.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`d go the rear diff lock and a winch, as I travel by my self most of the time.