Gday guys. So I posted a few days back looking at getting some big numbers out of my td42 silvertop in my old 93 maverick. Its got 330k on the clock so the general consensus is if I dont want to trash a good reliable engine then play nice.

So I rang Killa Kustom Kables in South East Queensland and chatted at length to the boys about cost etc for an L98 conversion with the 6 speed auto into the old girl.

Its affordable for me and now these conversions are becoming more and more common I want to hear about personal experiences. I have generally heard 1 of 2 things. 1 from a few blokes who owned LS vehicles being it was the best thing they ever did and 2 from guys who are diesel purists said they had mates who did LS conversions and had nothing but dramas so stick to the TD.

I have heard guys talk about petrols and water but have seen tonnes of guys smashing through mud and water crossings etc with no dramas. Eg Sam Eyles getting stuck in the Jardine river with his LS gu. He didnt seem to mind touring from perth to cape york in an ls1 considering he is building anothet LS super tourer ute now.

My intention is to run a stock engine, no cam but tuned with diff reduction. Later potentially a supercharger. Undecided on that. Im chasing reliability over huge power considering stock 6 ltrs come with 270kw anyway.

The car will be used as a tough tourer. Will hit hard tracks but no comp, beach drives, long highway drives to campsites, no towing, and wont be the daily. Just for trips so economy isnt a huge consideration. We do big trips as well but not frequently once a year maybe.

I know this is a big post but im trying to get as much info as I can before committing the cash to the build.

Cheers everyone