Thread: Best bang for buck tyres

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best bang for buck tyres

So I've been looking into getting some new tyres , I called around today and got some quotes on some bf Goodrich km2 muddies and after a bit of research I've started to rethink them, only for price reasons as I don't really wanna spend 2k on tyres.. so I went into eBay and found some cooper Str pros for 1500 but that's for four not five like I was quoted with the bfg , so I've had bfg before and I really like them there a great tyre but I've never owned a set of coopers but I've always heard good things.. so what should I buy? Best bang for buck tyre? I don't want something I'm gunna have to replace in 20'000kms or something where the side wall fails .. what's everyone got and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry everyone! I didn't realise I posted this in auto electrical 😅

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Brodie mate!
    I really dislike bad mouthing companies products but feel it necessary to share my hopefully one off past experience with the ST's.
    Decided about 10 years ago that I'd been too brand loyal to BFG with their KM1 series so gave the ST's a trial on my old GU leafy ute. Within 30,000ks they were dangerous having heavily worn out with sidewall and tread bubbles etc.. So much so I was given an agreed credit of 5/8th left on my 80,000km guarantee towards a new set. Sold the credit to a bloke who wanted and put it back again towards KM2's just new in I believe.
    It was believed to be a bad batch with a 'D' code stamped on them as best remember/told. Not saying this would ever happen again but I've never strayed since

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (23rd September 2017), Bush Ranger (23rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All good mate, moved it to tyre thread.

I'm sure Coopers are fine now, never owned them personally but I know someone who got very very little km's out of them but have heard others getting a good 80k in recent years.

Personally, I have gone down the budget path in the past with Federals etc and the poor man pays twice so to speak. I honestly reckon I got max 20k out of the Couragia. That was a few years ago now.

I'm a KM1-2 fan myself, sure you pay but they last and are a good all rounder for on-road/off set up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (23rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    but I know someone who got very very little km's out of them
    Annnnnnd ^^^^ that is that someone....lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G'day Brodie mate!
    I really dislike bad mouthing companies products but feel it necessary to share my hopefully one off past experience with the ST's.
    Decided about 10 years ago that I'd been too brand loyal to BFG with their KM1 series so gave the ST's a trial on my old GU leafy ute. Within 30,000ks they were dangerous having heavily worn out with sidewall and tread bubbles etc.. So much so I was given an agreed credit of 5/8th left on my 80,000km guarantee towards a new set. Sold the credit to a bloke who wanted and put it back again towards KM2's just new in I believe.
    It was believed to be a bad batch with a 'D' code stamped on them as best remember/told. Not saying this would ever happen again but I've never strayed since
    I think that brand has stretched the truth a bit much in its advertising , I'm sure they had trouble with delamination and the last lot I looked at a while ago had the worst speed rating .

I'm sure if you ask around plenty of people with coopers get punctures unlike the claims , maaxis make good tyres but it's the Bfg for mine .

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could also add that us Aussie's like the rest of the world are becoming time poor! Last thing I personally need is for a tyre to let me down whilst enjoying the outdoors for a short needed while :-) I'll pay extra for that insurance;-)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (23rd September 2017), PeeBee (23rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got mine I paid an extra $15 bucks to insure each tyre which was just as well because less than a month later I staked a side wall with a tree branch , also get flats fixed for free .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I priced some tyres a few months back and was told by one mob that BFG`s aren`t as good as they use to be and thought it was funny, as that was the brand they weren`t selling. I`ve never had a problem with them and a brother who has had a couple of Coopers on his wagon, says they`re not too bad and has thought of going back to BFG.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodieTiGQ View Post
    I called around today and got some quotes on some bf Goodrich km2 muddies and after a bit of research I've started to rethink them, only for price reasons as I don't really wanna spend 2k on tyres..
    Keep calling around mate.

I got 5 305s km2s on roh rims for 2250. I can't remember who, but pretty sure someone on here paid $300 each.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast