Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200kw club

Gday

So as per the intro post I left I have sold my 2010 79 series cruiser to build a weapon of a GQ.

I have a 93 td42 which I have started the planning process for the turbo set up.

She has 330k on the clock but drives like a dream and even accelerates up hills (unlike my last NA td42).

Runs cool, drives smooth and blows very little smoke. Pending a compression test I will start deciding on how best to (safely) start my foray into building a 200kw td42.

In other peoples experience how have guys gotten good power from their td42s and anything to consider with this kind of build.

I was ultimately unimpressed with the vdj79 for the money it cost me and this time I want to build something I truly want and do it right.

Any advice or experience to share would be awesome.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

200kw club

Some people here with those figures with various set ups for different applications mate.

What type of 4wding is your choice and reasons to chase those figures is a good start and that will determine a good set up in your environment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate thanks for the response. Ultimately the build is a tough tourer. Originally I was looking at an L98 conversion but the old td42 in my maverick is in too good condition to ditch yet so want to see what I can do with it. I met a few guys on my travels up in the cape and north queensland who are running some big set ups while I was still driving my v8 cruiser ute. My cruiser was chipped, remapped exhaust 4 inch snorkel etc but it got left in a cloud of soot and laughter by the big td42s getting around and the bloody thing owed me the better part of 85 grand including the touring set up and frankly it just was not as capable as the coil, boosted 4.2s. And I would even go as far as saying it left a bitter taste after I spent bulk cash on an over rated common rail shit box.

We do long trips but I still want to get some berries from the td so I too can leave some vdj in a cloud of soot and laughter. Haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 93mavGQ For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd September 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'd be bitter to spending that sort of coin on a Toyota as well. But the V8 diesel does sound schmick!

200rwkw? Bit of an overkill for a tough tourer I reckon. You want good power and also decent fuel consumption for a tourer. But it would be fun to drive. I run 160atw, so do a few others and this is plenty for anything apart from drag racing. Fuel consumption is a tad more than what my old 3Ltr had, last score was 15.5L/100 towing my camper at 1.6T'ish with the TD. But its up to you how many ponies you want. Just from speaking to a few workshops here in Melbourne, most will do a safe tune to 160, as I believe when you start going past these numbers there is a lot more stress on the motors components. But I suppose if done right that wouldn't matter, maybe....

Hopefully the experts will pop their head in and give you some real and accurate info on what you want to achieve.

Just be sure to post a pic of your snapped crank shaft. Hehe.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some people here including myself have been very successful with a BorgWarner 6758 turbo and a well built 12mm pump.

If you type in Borgwarner 6758 into the search bar you will find some good info and dynos about them.

Personally I am running a TD42 GQ with a decent efficient set up for power...

4" snorkel to a 4" Fatz Airbox 4" straight into the Borgwarner 6758.

3" piping all the way through to a large front mount intercooler into an untouched Td42T.

A well built 12mm pump and 3" straight through exhaust.

Was close to 200KW but amazing torque down low as well.

Have dropped it back in recent times...lol

The Borgwarner has been very successful for people and is gaining a lot of attention. It's a very efficient turbo and EGT's are minimal.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good replies thanks guys. I will have to keep doing my home work over the next month or so before committing to any course of action. Borgwarner looks the goods I am trying to find some more information on them. Interesting to hear the difference in peoples opinions between how reliable or how long their td42s last while putting out big numbers. One bloke I met claimed 180 something kw and he has been on an 18 month lap of the country with no major issues and by the way he was hitting the tracks on old coach road while pulling a camper I dont doubt it's power output. Other guys reckon once you start closing in on 200 or more then the engine is just one borrowed time. Likewise with the ls1 and L98 conversions. Some blokes I met on the travels reckon its the best thing they ever did where some guys I have talked to know a guy who knows a guy who has had nothing but problems haha

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before looking to getting the most out of my TD I was looking very seriously at sending the old girl down to killa kustoms with a stack of cash and leaving it to them to install a super charged L98 with the 6 speed auto for me. The only reason I havent gone down that path is the 4.2 in it at the moment just drives so nice it seems a waste not to enjoy it for awhile longer

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I'm just about to head down the borg warner path too after seeing what a great setup they are on the td42. Mines a silvertop 350ish thou Ks and will run 4 inch snorkel millweld airbox and safari front mount intercooler and 12mm pump. I know this will have potential but personally wouldn't aim for the 200kw target on a stock 300 thou + motor but thats just me. 160 - 170 kw is heaps and will see around 700mn + at the rear wheels and will keep it somewhat reliable and will still be an awesome car. I reckon you'd be taking a gamble asking 200 out of a stock motor with a few k's, the silvertops are strong but thats huge tourqe and would be pushing it with pistons, rods and crank I reckon. Just personally i would aim a bit more conservative or build a motor that could handle it reliably but thats a few $$, end up less than a 79 i guess . . .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk