Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Towing a Patrol using a Patrol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    There you go, I stand corrected. I do recall seeing these but was thinking more along the lines of the little uni's DOM was suggesting to use. I suspect these ones might have higher tensile capacity?
    Nope. The McHitch I have is a standard Landcruiser universal joint. They did that on purpose so parts are readily available if required.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

dom14 (25th September 2017), PeeBee (25th September 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Nope. The McHitch I have is a standard Landcruiser universal joint. They did that on purpose so parts are readily available if required.
    Apols in advance for the hijack but... what do you think of the Mchitch?
    As I said earlier I absolutely love my Autocoupler to bits.
    I find the drop on version is OK (bit easier than Treg etc to line up) but the Auto jobby gets 10/10 from me
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Here is the set-up I use and its simple, robust and hasn't failed yet.Attachment 73293
    Thanx Phil. Pretty good setup. Simple and effective.
    With D shackles it can be used to tow a vehicles or get towed.
    Last edited by dom14; 25th September 2017 at 11:30 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Actually there are fully rated towing systems that use Universals.

If you use a single bar and "hinge" both ends in the horizontal plane be very careful... you will no longer have horizontal stability.
    If you use twin unis and the towing vehicle slows the unis will allow the disabled vehicle to skew left or right with no resistance and plow into the tow which is why an A frame principle (full or short with an extended draw) or solid point at the disabled vehicle is used for unmanned apps.
    [/url]
    Thanx ET. That didn't cross my mind immediately. Stupid me. Thanx for the tip.

The reason I thought about including a horizontal hinge is to help when turning 90 degree turns.

But, it is NOT necessary at all, is it??!!

I mean there are semitrailers out there with four wheels that turns with the truck without any big issues.
    The outer wheels should simply turn faster to allow 'cos both front and back wheels are "technically" independent.
    So, the "towing bar'(PeeBee's idea) can be fixed to the vehicle under tow without needing any horizontal hinge at all.

Am I right ET?

I am getting it now why an A frame is safer on the highways.
    I can fabricate an A frame with a tow hitch that can be assemble and dismantled easily, but dunno about
    the legality of it though.

BTW, I am not contemplating on an unmanned tow on the vehicle under tow, after you explained the legality of needing automatic
    breakaway braking systems, and of course in my scenario with a recovery, there always will be bloke behind the driving seat of the vehicle under tow, (unless there are compelling circumstances not to be that way). So, as long as there is a guy on the vehicle under tow, I reckon I'll have the legal issues somewhat covered.
    Last edited by dom14; 26th September 2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the drop on version is OK (bit easier than Treg etc to line up) but the Auto jobby gets 10/10 from me
    Got one fitted to the little camper trailer, drop on version.Absolute ducks guts, excretes all over the standard ball hitch.
    Giving serious thought to banging the auto coupler on, shorty gives terrible reversing instuctions.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had mine (auto coupler) for a while now and I think it is the best set up I have had. I have a Tregg on an off road camper - but it was light enough to move around when coupling up. No chance of that on a 2.5T off roader. I did weld the orientation plate to my draw bar as I could not hold it tight enough with just the nut. I also bought the sliders for the WDH. They are simple but very clever and work very well - it's no use having heaps of articulation and then have the chains holding you back.
    Last edited by BillsGU; 26th September 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys
    The towing setup in Doms first photo is called a "Hitch and go". They have a cable that passes through the firewall of the towed vehicle
    and attaches to the brake pedal , with an override coupling .So that when the towing vehicle brakes it activates the towed vehicles brakes .
    They also have all the signal lights "brake ,tail and indicators wired into a trailer plug so all lights are operational when being towed .
    Craig

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FNqGu04 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (30th September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNqGu04 View Post
    Hi Guys
    The towing setup in Doms first photo is called a "Hitch and go". They have a cable that passes through the firewall of the towed vehicle
    and attaches to the brake pedal , with an override coupling .So that when the towing vehicle brakes it activates the towed vehicles brakes .
    They also have all the signal lights "brake ,tail and indicators wired into a trailer plug so all lights are operational when being towed .
    Craig
    Thanx mate.

That just reminded me that having a 'driver' in the vehicle under tow doesn't probably mean it is legal, 'cos the indicators, brake lights etc also need to be activated in synchronization with the towing vehicle. So, it kinda makes sense to have a trailer socket wired up to the front of the vehicle(perhaps usng an extension from the rear trailer socket). Not that hard to do. All we need is a trailer wire harness & couple of female+male sockets/plugs.
    However, creating the automatic braking apparatus would be a bit of challenge without a 'blueprint' of how to go about it, but worth a try.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ET
    Where did you get the 2 inch Reese point? Off the shelf or custom made. I'm thinking about getting one fitted on my DX ute.
    cheers
    Len

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian51 View Post
    Hi ET
    Where did you get the 2 inch Reese point? Off the shelf or custom made. I'm thinking about getting one fitted on my DX ute.
    cheers
    Len
    I have 3 'Reese points' or 2 inch receivers on my truck;
    - the Tow Bar obviously,
    - a custom jobbie made by XLR8 in Perth (that bolts to the rear chassis cross member where the factory recovery point would be) and takes my Winch Cradle
    - a receiver as part of my custom Bull Bar (also made by XLR8) which will take a standard tongue or my Winch Cradle

The winch lives on the back custom receiver so it sits under the tray but above the standard tow bar so it doesn't interfere with any towing connections.
    My spare doesn't live under the tray as it won't fit due to a long range main tank.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Aquarian51 (13th October 2017)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast