Thread: Towing a Patrol using a Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    No kidding!!! That's the law all around the country??!!
    you asked so don't be so rude.....
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    you asked so don't be so rude.....
    Seriously, I didn't know that. So far from what I'v gathered from the conversations in this thread I thought having somebody in the driver seat of the vehicle under tow is not only legal but a requirement when there's no automatic way to signal towing vehicles indicators. Now, I'm learning that is not the case. This means towing as I indicated would end up as illegal unless the "automatic brake setup" is wired up/set up via the trailer plug or something. Having nobody in the vehicle under tow is also new news to me.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting reading this thread. In NZ towing another vehicle is very legal provided you meet certain requirements.
    Ie, if it is a 'non mechanical linkage' (rope, chain, strap etc) then the towed vehicle must have someone in it to operate brakes steering lights etc.
    if it is a 'mechanical linkage' that can pivot on the towed vehicle side then, as above it must have an occupant in it.
    But if the mechanical linkage is fixed on the tow vehicle and can only hinge vertically (ie the generic A frame), then the only requirement is that the vehicle has auto brakes if its detaches (over 2.5tonne for any towed vehicle) and has a light bar on it that has brakes and indicators. So most people just bolt a couple of brake and indicators to a 2x4, tie it to the back of the towed car somehow and plug it into the tow vehicles trailer light socket.

If the A frame is fixed to the towed vehicle, then the vehicle can't turn on it own. The vehicle centre line and the tow hitch centre line will always remain in-line and the front wheels will turn on their own to accomodate this. In NZ, so long as the car youre towing is under 2.5tonne and has a warrant of fitness and is registered, then its legal to tow. Over 2.5 tonne and we have to have autolock brakes.

So no towing the long wheel base safaris, but the shortys (GVM 2400kg) are allowed.
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuckertrucker For This Useful Post:

dom14 (13th November 2017), GQtdauto (13th November 2017), PeeBee (13th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckertrucker View Post
    Interesting reading this thread. In NZ towing another vehicle is very legal provided you meet certain requirements.
    Ie, if it is a 'non mechanical linkage' (rope, chain, strap etc) then the towed vehicle must have someone in it to operate brakes steering lights etc.
    if it is a 'mechanical linkage' that can pivot on the towed vehicle side then, as above it must have an occupant in it.
    But if the mechanical linkage is fixed on the tow vehicle and can only hinge vertically (ie the generic A frame), then the only requirement is that the vehicle has auto brakes if its detaches (over 2.5tonne for any towed vehicle) and has a light bar on it that has brakes and indicators. So most people just bolt a couple of brake and indicators to a 2x4, tie it to the back of the towed car somehow and plug it into the tow vehicles trailer light socket.

If the A frame is fixed to the towed vehicle, then the vehicle can't turn on it own. The vehicle centre line and the tow hitch centre line will always remain in-line and the front wheels will turn on their own to accomodate this. In NZ, so long as the car youre towing is under 2.5tonne and has a warrant of fitness and is registered, then its legal to tow. Over 2.5 tonne and we have to have autolock brakes.

So no towing the long wheel base safaris, but the shortys (GVM 2400kg) are allowed.
    Some of the laws here in Oz are just tax collection in disguise. , but I guess it happens everywhere more or less.
    Unlike in New Zealand, here on Oz, we have slightly different rules and regulations from state to state. It can end up in 'funny' situations sometime, but that's the price have to pay for the country's being geographically big. It's far far lot 'funnier' in America I think. They have some five hundred states and trillion different laws and interpretations for the same situation.
    Last edited by dom14; 13th November 2017 at 11:57 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (13th November 2017)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456