OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your dune climbing technique?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your dune climbing technique?

Arrived in Birdsville today, camped out of town a bit, down along the river.

Left the Tvan at camp & went out to Big red/Little Red .... whichever - the first one you get to where the bitumen stops.

My first ever sand dune. "Probably not necessary" thought I, "but I'll let the tyres down just in case. Fronts down to 22psi & rears down to 27psi.

Drove up the dune heading away from Birdsville in second low with zero problems - easy peasy.

Down the other side equally easy, although noting that the sand was a lot softer, especially near the top.

I should mention that this was around 3.30pm on a hot sunny day. I knew that the loose/soft sand was looser/softer when hot, but reasoned to myself that we'd seen others coming back with their Simpson desert flags waving, & besides which anyone crossing the Simpson simply couldn't cross all the dunes in the early morning cool of the day.

Well I'm afraid coming back up was such that I was pleased there was no audience other than MrsTea. It took me 7 attempts & I was seriously considering the possibility we would not get back to camp tonight! I had expected to get up in 2nd or 3rd low. But quickly realised that I was going to need more momentum than this allowed. In the end I
    got up in 2nd high, foot well down & giving it the berries, & me just a passenger, trying as best I could to stay in the existing wheel tracks. It got me up... just.....but I'm sure I recall reading of folk motoring up the sides of dunes at 2000rpm - taking it easy.

Are most dunes not all soft at the top like this one was, am I just a crap novice dune driver, or is crossing ones chest, yelling "BANZAI" & planting the right boot standard procedure?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (18th September 2017), MB (19th September 2017), PeeBee (18th September 2017), Woof (19th September 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I usually run 18 psi front and rear but have had to let them down to 15 in real soft stuff. Just learn not to turn sharply. To get the optimum pressure for your set up and sand type, let the tyres down by increments. Drive forward to say 20-30 odd kmh and put the clutch in or in neutral for an auto. The vehicle should roll to a stop, not dig in. Make dead sure you go straight up or straight down a dune as it is very easy to turn turtle. As for the correct gear, my RB30 has a terrific rev range but bugger all low down grunt, so the diesel guys will have to guide you as to the best gear to climb a dune. I also like to walk up a difficult dune to check it out first.
    Last edited by mudnut; 18th September 2017 at 07:53 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually tyres down to 18 all around, and float up to the top........

that saying, Ive never driven Big Red, but works most other sand hills.

lowest I've ever had to drop them to get up a hill was 10...........

oh, and give it the berries on the 2nd attempt
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

mudnut (18th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,414 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got up the hardest line on Big Red with 10 psi in my tyres. Tried a few times at 18 and wasn't having any luck.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,002 Times in 3,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep 18psi is your friend in sand cuppa. Have been down to 10psi but thats scary low so really only in emergency and only in a straight line or youll roll the bead. Havent done big red myself but have done many dunes, including some gnarly ones. I usually use low 2nd, hit it at 2000rpm and dont let it drop below that. The td42 as you know has heaps of grunt so 2000rpm to 3000rpm is your zone. Roadies and all terrains better in sand than muddies too.

Have another crack tomorrow at 18psi and you should notice a nice difference, plus your confidence will shoot up. Good luck mate.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on how soft it is.... I usually start at 15 all round and work my way down if needed..... Lowest I've been to is 8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Woof (19th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fellas, I was worried about taking the rears down too low because of the weight we are carrying. Sounds like less air is the go. Plassy that's good advice about going back for another go tomorrow, just wish I hadn't added more weight when we got back to town (filled both fuel tanks plus the water tank). I'll probably wait until we get to more dunes elsewhere I think, especially as the road out to Big Red is in really horrible condition (just after the race weekend).

We're going across Walkers Crossing to Innaminka & then down to Camerons Corner so maybe we'll find more dunes somewhere down there?

Winnie - so when you went across the Simpson were you constantly airing down for dunes? What pressure/speed did you use between the dunes?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,414 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks fellas, I was worried about taking the rears down too low because of the weight we are carrying. Sounds like less air is the go. Plassy that's good advice about going back for another go tomorrow, just wish I hadn't added more weight when we got back to town (filled both fuel tanks plus the water tank). I'll probably wait until we get to more dunes elsewhere I think, especially as the road out to Big Red is in really horrible condition (just after the race weekend).

We're going across Walkers Crossing to Innaminka & then down to Camerons Corner so maybe we'll find more dunes somewhere down there?

Winnie - so when you went across the Simpson were you constantly airing down for dunes? What pressure/speed did you use between the dunes?
    Nah mate I aired down to 18 at the start of the crossing and that's where it stayed until we hit big red. We had 0 dramas with dunes until big red, nothing compared to it.
    Only 4 of us actually conquered the hardest line on Big Red and AB got so close it was heart breaking. We watched a few modern auto 4WDs with traction control and other driver aids drive up it with ease.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

katwoman (19th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,002 Times in 3,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Nah mate I aired down to 18 at the start of the crossing and that's where it stayed until we hit big red. We had 0 dramas with dunes until big red, nothing compared to it.
    Only 4 of us actually conquered the hardest line on Big Red and AB got so close it was heart breaking. We watched a few modern auto 4WDs with traction control and other driver aids drive up it with ease.

Agree i also set and forget at 18psi. But I'm in a loaded wagon, youve got a pod plus ball weight on the rear so id maybe set rears at 20-22psi when towing through that country. This is only for low speed stuff, around 60kmh or so mate. In the wagon i wouldnt be concerned with 18psi until around 80kmh. Just my opinion.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyre pressures and momentum are your key always back off when you get towards the top as you want to stop when you get to the top/crest and always drive straight down and don't try and turn
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast