OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Seat Removal Engineered.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's all bureaucratic bullshit to me...... Didn't have my 3rd row seats or belts in when I had my accident, insurance wasn't knocked back because of it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Hodge, what you say sounds reasonable, but you have to wonder about the reall change in weight between one seat or another don't you? I mean if you swap your alloys to heavy old split rims and chunky crossplys the same would stand I guess. Anyway, I suppose it is up to the VASS assessor at the end of the day as to how rigorous he wants to be. I know the guy in Bayswater would want to check every nut and bolt and charge accordingly, whilst the guy in hallam is a lot more 'practical.
    Its not the physical weight in the actual seat that is the change. Each person is allocated 80kg's. So when you remove the two rear seats, and get this engineered you will be gaining and extra 160kg's to your already full GVM. My GVM was 3000kg, I took it over the scales, empty, only the bar and winch on the car and I was 2940kg. And I was supposed to have both fuel tanks full, which they weren't.

I do think Engineers are like mechanics who do RWC's. They all follow the same rules, its just how they interpret and also enforce them when doing an inspection. As we have seen, different answers from different engineers. I even spoke with an engineer when I first start looking at this and he could engineer 35's and 37's. I question him on this and he said anything is possible. I spoke to Brett at 4x4 Obsession about this and said he's more than likely a non VASS approved engineer. Which you can use if you like to get your blue tag. But. It can be refused my the police and also Vic Roads if and when they see fit. A VASS approved engineer, they cannot.

In the end. Whats the point just getting one thing engineered and nothing else? I suppose this is good if you know 100% everything else on your car is good and doesn't need it. But if your car Has a lift over 2inch, but you only get the seat removal engineered. Whats the point?

Each to their own.

@PeeBee. I'd be too scared to put your car over the scales. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    It's all bureaucratic bullshit to me...... Didn't have my 3rd row seats or belts in when I had my accident, insurance wasn't knocked back because of it
    Because your seat belts weren't the cause or didn't have any impact on the accident. But yes it is bullshit. I agreed wholeheartedly on this.
    Last edited by mudski; 14th September 2017 at 10:11 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Clunk (14th September 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is over the upgraded gum by about 100kg with empty fuel and water tanks and no one in it, so yes I am heavy, but it doesn't look like a hoon machine so doesn't stick out for mr plod like some vehicles do

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (15th September 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine is over the upgraded gum by about 100kg with empty fuel and water tanks and no one in it, so yes I am heavy, but it doesn't look like a hoon machine so doesn't stick out for mr plod like some vehicles do
    Yeah wow so you GVM is upgraded and your still over? Not surprising mate. I had a peek in your Patrol on the Licola trip. Bloody hell! I'd get lost inside your Patrol. Haha!
    Having said that, My GVM was upgraded from 3000kg to 3200KG and I reckon I'd be pushing it just with the bar, winch, draws and cage in the back and two full tanks of fuel.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True not too many hoons out there running coffee machines

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    True not too many hoons out there running coffee machines

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Good onya!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (15th September 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah wow so you GVM is upgraded and your still over? Not surprising mate. I had a peek in your Patrol on the Licola trip. Bloody hell! I'd get lost inside your Patrol. Haha!
    Having said that, My GVM was upgraded from 3000kg to 3200KG and I reckon I'd be pushing it just with the bar, winch, draws and cage in the back and two full tanks of fuel.
    Is 3200kgs the limit of your axle rating without a diff strengthening brace kit fitted?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is 3200kgs the limit of your axle rating without a diff strengthening brace kit fitted?
    Yes. As a factory GU TD has a GVM of 3040kg from memory. And each seat is allocated 80kg. So when I did the ZD to TD conversion, and then decided to get the engineering done, they upped it to 3200kgs. I think thats as high as they can go without axle mods...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In QLD two different engineers told me that they would want to have a look at the fitting of the front seats (if I decided to go down that path) and he would sign off on it. $220.00 and a blue mod plate fitted under bonnet. Easy peasy. I didn't end up getting it done due to the cost of seats available. I still might end up getting some XR8/XR6 seats some day for it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about the weight of the seat - it's about the weight of the passenger that sits in it. When I had my GVM upgrade done (in VIC) the vehicle was then configured as a 5 seater - which was part of the calculation for the additional weight I can now legally carry.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (31st January 2018), PeeBee (31st January 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast