OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Seat Removal Engineered.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Seat Removal Engineered.

Hey all,

I've seen this has been discussed already and I'm pretty sure that because I live in NSW that I can't temporarily remove any seating without affecting my insurance. Not so worried about potentially getting defected, more worried over the insurance issue.

So has anyone actually been through the process of the getting seat removal engineered?

Rather curious about costs and any experiences anyone might have had.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyboyjr4 View Post
    Hey all,

I've seen this has been discussed already and I'm pretty sure that because I live in NSW that I can't temporarily remove any seating without affecting my insurance. Not so worried about potentially getting defected, more worried over the insurance issue.

So has anyone actually been through the process of the getting seat removal engineered?

Rather curious about costs and any experiences anyone might have had.
    Are you talking about the rear seats? So it makes it a five seater? If you remove the seat belts as well I think you wont see any issues. But this question can only be answered by your insurer. Its up to them at the end of the day.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Victoria, you remove the seats and seat belts, get the removal noted by a VASS Engineer, present the document to Vicroads and they change the status from 7 to 5 seats. One VASS engineer was not happy with my internal layout and was suggesting I get the vehicle certified as a 2 seater , so it can be done, but thats in Vic

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Are you talking about the rear seats? So it makes it a five seater? If you remove the seat belts as well I think you wont see any issues. But this question can only be answered by your insurer. Its up to them at the end of the day.
    Regardless if seat belts are removed it still needs 2 be engineered / certified what ever one wants 2 call it these days.

In NSW because we have 2 get a pink slip ( road worthy certificate ) the mechanic can if he want 2 be picky knock you back just because the seats and seat belts are removed
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Regardless if seat belts are removed it still needs 2 be engineered / certified what ever one wants 2 call it these days.

In NSW because we have 2 get a pink slip ( road worthy certificate ) the mechanic can if he want 2 be picky knock you back just because the seats and seat belts are removed
    Yeah wasnt sure on other states though. Has to be engied in Vic, got mine done. Gave me an extra 160kegs on the GVM too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (14th September 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also from what I've been told...
    You cannot just walk in and get the seats removal engineered.
    Youve gotta get the car done as a whole ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Also from what I've been told...
    You cannot just walk in and get the seats removal engineered.
    Youve gotta get the car done as a whole ...

Hodge, a guy I worked with just had his seats engineered on a GQ Patrol, went down with the XR6 buckets and an after market seat adapter, and it was signed off. Mind you, just for the seats it cost him close to what you would pay for an engine upgrade, but that was the only thing 'certified' as such and certainly the only issue for review by the engineer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th September 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Hodge, a guy I worked with just had his seats engineered on a GQ Patrol, went down with the XR6 buckets and an after market seat adapter, and it was signed off. Mind you, just for the seats it cost him close to what you would pay for an engine upgrade, but that was the only thing 'certified' as such and certainly the only issue for review by the engineer.
    Hmmm interesting.
    I spoke to a engineer at guests 4x4 and he pretty much said there is no such thing as individualized engineering plates. It's one placard that covers the whole vehicle. In Vic anyway.

And also speaking to a bloke where Mudskis car got engineered he pretty much said , seat removal alters gvm. Altered gvm requires everything that affects the weight to be looked at and engineered which pretty much means the whole car and all accessories especially the suspension needs to be signed off that's fitted to the vehicle at the time of assesment.
    That's how I interpreted what he said.
    Mark may remember this conversation at 4x4 obsession . @mudski

2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th September 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hodge, what you say sounds reasonable, but you have to wonder about the reall change in weight between one seat or another don't you? I mean if you swap your alloys to heavy old split rims and chunky crossplys the same would stand I guess. Anyway, I suppose it is up to the VASS assessor at the end of the day as to how rigorous he wants to be. I know the guy in Bayswater would want to check every nut and bolt and charge accordingly, whilst the guy in hallam is a lot more 'practical.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Hodge, what you say sounds reasonable, but you have to wonder about the reall change in weight between one seat or another don't you? I mean if you swap your alloys to heavy old split rims and chunky crossplys the same would stand I guess. Anyway, I suppose it is up to the VASS assessor at the end of the day as to how rigorous he wants to be. I know the guy in Bayswater would want to check every nut and bolt and charge accordingly, whilst the guy in hallam is a lot more 'practical.
    Mate the way I see it, is like a lot of things. Different rules for different states, preached by different engineers in different moods interpreted differently by different people. It's a farce.
    I wanted to go get my GU done as a 5 seater as I'm on the verge of GVM breach unloaded. I'd like to gain a few more KG's. A little while ago when I rang around to enquire , was given 14 different answers, gave me a headache so I gave up. lol
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast