Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gu wont turn over

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu wont turn over

I have a 2000 gu 4.2 that wouodnt start this mornng. Last night i was playing increasing the boost to 15 psi from 12 and was pushin it a bit to test her out. Hopped in this morning and waited for the glow plugs to warm, turned the key and only got a ticking noise everytime i turned the key. Tightened all the terminals on both batteries and still got nothing. Would it be the starter motor going or just batteries or something else?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome to the forum mate. Not really enough detail to really get an idea of what the problem might be, but changing the boost shouldn't make it not start. Your description sounds like a simple flat battery, which could be just a loose terminal (+ve or earth) or just bad luck and the battery has gone flat. I guess you didn't have any fault lights (charge) when you were running it last night? If you tightened the terminals on the batteries, did you check the "other end" of the earth wires where they bolt to the motor/chassis. Assuming you have a VSR or some sort of seperation between the batteries, the issue would be confined to your cranking battery. Have you tried jumper leads from the aux battery to the cranker? What voltage do you see across the battery static and then when the ignition is on?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. And nah ive only tightened the terminals on the battery as its happened to me before and that was all that was needed to fix it until now it seems to not work for me. Im a little unsure of what the set up is as the previous owner has done all the work to it and ive only owned it for about a month. Ill have a good look at it when im home this arvo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jayden,

It is either electrical or mechanical.... probably electrical, but as you have only just played around with boost it could possibly be a mechanical failure or hydrolock.

From most likely....
    Battery.....If you have a multimeter, then check the Battery Voltage when sitting idle, and also when trying to crank. It it sits over and around 12V, then the battery should have enough oomph to make it turn over.

Starter.....Then check the Starter itself, to see if you have 12V getting to the starter itself when cranking.

If you don't have or get 12V at these points, then it is either a battery / fuse / connection issue.

If you get 12V to the starter, but no turn over, then it could either be the starter or mechanical. Open the bonnet, turn off the radio and AC Fan. Does the solenoid to the starter click when you turn the key? If yes then it is getting power - but it could still be starter or mechanical. Tap/Hit the starter motor with a hammer to see if that makes it come good.

Next step would be to see if you can move / turn over the motor with a socket on the harmonic balancer nut. Sometimes just moving the motor a little bit can help it to work.

If it moves, then that takes mechanical out of the picture a little, as it is unlikely to be something like a hydrolock from a leaking head gasket. If it does move, then take the socket away, and try cranking it over again, as it may work the motor sitting at a different crank angle
    Last edited by happygu; 7th September 2017 at 05:12 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any corrosion on the battery terminal or leads that connect to it ? Is the earth good and free from corrosion.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont butni could do it at work, thanks mate ill test all these and see how i go

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that i could see, i havent properly looked yet though since i was in a rush so ill have another look later today

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The tick tick of the starter motor is usually from the battery having not enough juice to crank the starter. If you have some jumper leads and a spare battery, or even your Aux battery if you have one and just hook up the second battery to the main battery and try then. Or jumpers to another running car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to see if a door / rear barn door has been ajar, as both interior lights will flatten a battery over night, if you have a wagon. In the past, I have had a battery drop a cell as they called it and the ute wouldn`t start.
    Last edited by Bush Ranger; 8th September 2017 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, it was the battery. Used the jump starer and it fired up straight away

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jayden For This Useful Post:

Bush Ranger (8th September 2017), GQtdauto (7th September 2017), mudski (7th September 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast