Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Portal Upgrade on GQ Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the idea but it could and probably would be exploited quite easily.

Get a plate from Vicroads for a different turbo and then slap on all kinds of crazy mods, lifts, tyres, etc...job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (7th September 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certainly no computer techy bloke Plassy mate but every modified car I've owned has had the new engine numbers input on their system somewhere deep inside. Surely an extra 'Modified' drop down tick box thingo could be added to show up front and foremost Australia wide. Business wise I do take my hat off to mobs like Brunswick & Mark's etc... Huge time and money spent developing and testing products to become safely ADR approved and should come at a premium price and be properly acknowledged on all national systems. Good for employment and the country I says, all departments need to stop holding us all back mate ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I like the idea but it could and probably would be exploited quite easily. Get a plate from Vicroads for a different turbo and then slap on all kinds of crazy mods, lifts, tyres, etc...job done! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not a secondary plate bro, I mean have a vehicles number plate search contain certified companies mods listed properly. I'm imagining a highway patrol Candy coloured car could tailgate a suspect vehicle and clearly see on their screen say 'Portals' by 'Mark's' and then not bother pulling a bloke over I guess?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the mods are defined on the blue tag in the engine bay, so you have to go thru the stop and inspect. I like the concept but can see it being 'too hard' in practice. Not knowing what comes up on the search is half the battle also. I just hope the engineering mods made it onto the system after all the pain to get it over the line. I am still keen on this upgrade even with 33" wheels, so stay tuned.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Was chatting with AB yesterday Phil mate about our Vic boys in blue always pulling over cars/trucks that appear illegally modified. When folks spend big coin getting it done legally shouldn't the mods be officially listed against their plate numbers when they look up on their onboard system. Those 'Sheriff' road stops and auto cameras out your way seem to efficiently pull over outstanding vehicle owners warrants/fines listed against plates. Surely Vic-Roads could/should easily add to a national system that say your truck is an approved 6.5L Brunswick with Marks Adaptor portals and not waste everybody's time and money investigating roadside ;-)
    You are overlooking a fundamental point and that is there is no revenue to recover from identification of compliant and legal vehicles, hence its wasting processor time and capacity when they can be chasing money from defaulters and unregistered vehicles.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of the things I noticed on their website, is the nominal clearance of the Nissan portals is 101mm increase, but the Toyotas are 150mm, wonder why.
    also, can you run 16 inch rims, or are you forced to run 17s?
    all my preferred tires are only available on the 16 inch rim size.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I have thought about for quite some time now when it comes to portals, is the extra force put onto the bushes and the control arms and what effect (if any?) they may have. Seeing as the force from wheels turning now has some mechanical advantage being below the axle Centre line

I know when people are building buggy's or something with portals, this machanical advantage is factored in when building the suspension. Not just material strength, but geometries aswell.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Superior make tough gear that should handle the extra stresses.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bushes though
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345