Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portal Upgrade on GQ Patrol

I am investigating this mod with the view to do it as soon as we have relocated house - can't fit the patrol in the garage and its not sitting in the street.

Has anyone done this mod on a GQ patrol on this site or can direct me to that person elsewhere? I have spoken to Marks 4x4 and they are shifting around on doing it - issues with the last one with guard flares and then engineering, but I suspect this ended up being a real custom job and they are just not into that market.

Mechanically its fairly straight forward however the details around the body mods then get it thru the engineering will need to be handled with care. Having struggled thru the original engineering and GVM upgrade with the motor I am hardened to the process delays.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh wow, million dollar patrol, you'll have to take the reins of the golden horse now . . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, only one Golden Horse per paddock! Marks 'claim' it cost circa 10K just to sort out the flares as the tyres stick out approx 100mm past standard even with minus 50mm offset rims - but then say in the next breath they would just use standard black guard extension rubber - who knows - waiting on their Portal Guy to ring me back. I will start with the Hydraulic brake booster upgrade, which should bolt straight onto my booster as I 'think' it was upgraded by Brunswick when they did the engine - waiting on confirmation. This way the beast will stop on a dime with the Toyota Discs that are part of the assy.

I want to hear from someone who has gone this route with a GQ as despite the kit being applicable for GU/GQ the preference is the GU it seems.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blokes in Iceland source wider flares, but all the threads I have looked at have the 3rd party picture hosting problem. Try the search function, you may have better luck than me. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Iceland+flares
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10K just for the flares, wow they must be pretty nice. Scared to hear how much the diffs would be.

I guess GUs are a bit wider that makes them a slightly better candidate but people have put them under a heaps of things narrower that a GQ.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the guy I spoke to really knew what he was talking about - bloody ridiculous comment. Push comes to shove I will buy the kit and take my time fitting it, but would prefer a Drive in/drive out solution. Makes engineering simpler also as its validated to some degree by them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see it, gonna be awsome ☺

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, but garage too low for it to fit, so its a sleeper for now until we move. Just trying to ascertain costs and suss out the assy. One thing is the wider wheel track and that could be a problem long term regards reliability and longevity - have heard issues with guys running around in the big fords and even the OKA's and finding they have tracking issues as most of the vehicles running around have made track widths to suit the toyota/Patrol width - don't know how true this is. Also, the 85% reduction gears from Marks howl like crazy so need to be sure these gear sets on all four corners don't do the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone help out an old bloke and tell me what a Portal Upgrade is ???

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, its basically an offset gearbox that hangs off the end of the axle ends, the offset raises the vehicle approx 6" and gives greater ground clearance. Once the vehicle has been modified and then passed with an engineering certificate, you can legally run 35" tyres, however the clearance gained is equivalent to running 42" tyres.

Have a look at the Marks 4X4 website as they have a really good assembly video
    Last edited by PeeBee; 4th September 2017 at 02:53 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bob (4th September 2017)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast