Thanks
    Thanked 20,827 Times in 8,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its swag time

I think it's time to invest in a swag.

Lots of boys trips happening in the last few years and after a drunken episode 5 years ago I suddenly have a family of four which eventuated in a cargo barrier that ruined my care free sleep in the car trips

Thought about cutting a section for my legs but...lol

Never bought a swag before and I know many of you here live and love it!

At this point in time what is the best value for money I can get one?

Definitely not cheap, quality at an affordable price question?

Also, why does every single swagger sleep under their awning or a half ass tarp tied to their patrol which blows over at 4am in the high country and you're out there freezing your buttocks pegging down in your budgies

I don't want an awning or carry a roof rack unless touring so a swag out in the open harsh wet elements is just plain painful or?

I'm more interested in quick one/two night boys trips only, minimal time set up scenarios.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Dune 4wd outback swag but if i bought another Id probably get one with a centrepole down the middle so it can be self standing ie no need to peg it down
    Under the awning is fantastic it means you don't get a wet arse if its raining when you get in/out. I will be using my new awning extension tomorrow for it so will see how that goes
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

AB (29th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy a double swag for a little more room or a king single.

The latest designs are more like a dome tent than a swag and for a long term investment I would be leaning that way. A bit of room to get dissed is great.

I tarp up and have a tarp n the ground too. Come what may then Rain Hail Snow or ashine. Have Never been wet in my swag:

My double swag fits Zach and I in it which is great but he is nearlly ready for his own and I have a single for him.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (29th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Buy a double swag for a little more room or a king single.

The latest designs are more like a dome tent than a swag and for a long term investment I would be leaning that way. A bit of room to get dissed is great.

I tarp up and have a tarp n the ground too. Come what may then rain hail snow or shine. Have Necer been wet in my swag:

My double swag fits Zach and I in it which is great but he is nearlly ready for his own and I have a single for him.
    Yeah I agree mine is a double and its great but its very big when packed up

Edit: And the only reason id say free standing is good is because when you camp in huts or rotundas like I did at O'tooles you can't peg them into anything

Thanks
    Thanked 12,442 Times in 6,265 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had several bad experiences sleeping in the rain in my swag... I get wet! I have never seen anybody camp outside in the rain and not get wet.
    Some are definitely better than others, mine was a $400 swag that I got on special but I don't really like it compared to others I see.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

AB (29th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I have had several bad experiences sleeping in the rain in my swag... I get wet! I have never seen anybody camp outside in the rain and not get wet.
    Some are definitely better than others, mine was a $400 swag that I got on special but I don't really like it compared to others I see.
    Its funny you say that. I am always under the awning so haven't really tested it out. However heaps of my friends swag it sans shelter or awning in the rain and they don't have any issues

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is my Swag setup. The tarp is designed to be setup like that. Great bit of kit. A few options and I rate it. It is about 5m long giving great cover to both ends. Room to leave my boots out at night and have used this heaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (29th May 2015), DX grunt (30th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,442 Times in 6,265 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    Its funny you say that. I am always under the awning so haven't really tested it out. However heaps of my friends swag it sans shelter or awning in the rain and they don't have any issues
    Not that they are willing to admit I bet...
    Look I'm sure some people really do have no dramas but they would be high quality swags by real canvas companies and not Hugh volume stuff by ARB and the likes.
    You would have to set them up well, peg them down and make sure they are nice and tight... I bet I would set up my tent and mattress faster than that would be.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Not that they are willing to admit I bet...
    Look I'm sure some people really do have no dramas but they would be high quality swags by real canvas companies and not Hugh volume stuff by ARB and the likes.
    You would have to set them up well, peg them down and make sure they are nice and tight... I bet I would set up my tent and mattress faster than that would be.
    I soaked my swag in the bathtub a few times to try and stop it leaking, If and when I test it out in the rain I'll let you know how i go.
    Most good swag companies have sold out now any way and they are mostly made in china

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had several swags, and now own a ARB dome swag. BY far the best I have ever had and used. Best canvass and warmest during winter. And yes I DO always set swag under my awning or inside a tent during winter, especially during wet weather. I like to be cozy and warm.

AB consider the jet tent bunker... Off the ground. Extremely comfortable, super quick to set up...

2005 TD42TI

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (29th May 2015), FNQGU (30th May 2015)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast